Family Halloween and Christmas movies

Anyone who has a family has traditions. I have 4 kids from 13 to 8 and we watch some films every year. Christmas we go for A Muppet Christmas Carol, Nightmare Before Christmas, and Smokey Mountain Christmas. Halloween we have Ernest Scared Stupid, Ghostbusters, and Halloween Town. What films do you traditionally watch on holidays?

3 Likes

Elf
Always Elf

4 Likes

My family watches Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas every year.

6 Likes

Usually Nightmare Before Christmas, and I recently picked up Muppets Christmas Carol so that I can add that to the rotation. In a previous relationship it was A Christmas Story every year without fail, now I avoid that one (even though I’m a fan of Darren McGavin).

We used to watch Emmet Otter every year when I was young, that is probably the best Christmas movie ever and genuinely heartwarming. I’ve had to order a copy of it just now, and happily was able to throw in a t-shirt for The River Bottom Nightmare Band. :star2:

7 Likes

Wow. I’ve never seen it. Checked YouTube and it looks neat. Is there a plot?

It’s a twist on The Gift of the Magi.

1 Like

Nightmare before Christmas
Die Hard
The Grinch who Stole Christmas (Boris Karloff version)

4 Likes

My poor kids prefer the live action abomination. I can’t wait till they are old enough for die hard. Is there a way to get a television edit. That’s how I saw most films as a kid.

Respect for Ernest Scared Stupid. It’s one of those movies that cracks me up every time. Especially the authentic, Bulgarian Miak.

“Eat Miak and die!”

1 Like

I think I need a new shirt now too!

1 Like

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story. It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown for Halloween.

5 Likes

Such a fantastic Jim Hanson flick!

I usually watch Christmas-based Rifftrax and MST3Ks along with Nightmare Before Christmas. Also love Emmett Otter, Charlie Brown, and original animated Grinch, but don’t watch them every year. Gremlins is another one sometimes viewed at this time.

2 Likes

Oh, and John Carpenter’s Halloween is a treat any time of the year! The second is okay, and I appreciate what they tried to do with 3: Season Of The Witch. The recent sequel that JC was involved with is also good. The rest are basically razor blades in the candy.

3 Likes

I liked H20 and wish they’d ended it there, but did also enjoy the most recent sequel. If the other new ones also stick the landing, I’ll probably go with those as a preferred ending.

1 Like

I forgot about gremlins. I’m not much of a Charlie Brown fan.

2 Likes

We don’t do anything specific for Halloween, but on Christmas, we usually do (in this order) Nightmare Before Christmas, Muppets Christmas Carol, Scrooged, a bunch of Disney Christmas shorts, Elf, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and Charlie Brown Christmas.

3 Likes

I usually also cue up the George C. Scott Christmas Carol, though he’s somewhat channeling Albert Finney from the first great adaptation. I still like what he brings to it, plus the costumes and cinematography are lovely.

I used to like Scrooged a lot too, but it’s not aged quite as well.

2 Likes

Of the innumerable Christmas Carols, I still haven’t watched the Muppet one yet (I own it, but I think it was the first movie after Jim Henson died, so it’s tough for me), but am partial to Mickey’s Christmas Carol and the DuckTales episode that pays homage to that. I also love the My Little Pony version, but technically, that’s not ‘Christmas.’ The music in that one is stellar, IMO.

2 Likes

The Muppets Christmas Carol is a must in our house, along with The Nightmare Before Christmas and Elf. It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is what we watch while carving pumpkins before Halloween. A couple of years ago, I got the giant set of Universal monster movies, and I always try to watch as many as possible in October.

2 Likes