Fanficisode: Invention exchange discussion

Post your ideas, storyboards, written dissertations and such on whatever invention exchange segments you think should be included now and in the future.

I came up with the ideas above as I was trying to think up topics for a potential monthly Invention Exchange Challenge.

The idea being that once the Gizmopex opens up, it’s be great if Joel, Jonah, or the Mads could record a brief monthly video challenge for Gizmopass holders, asking fans to create their own invention exchanges around a shifting theme. (With the entries judged by the cast, and the best ones placed on permanent display in a “Gizmonic Institute Hall of Inventors.”)

If you’re looking for something to kick-start your own invention exchange idea, here’s the list of starting prompts I came up with to get your creative juices flowing:

• Invent a new musical instrument
  • Help people to exercise more
  • Help bring families back to the dinner table
  • Help make real life more like the movies
  • Help speed up housework
  • Help people get back to nature
  • Invent an alternative to texting
  • Come up with something that will help people relax
  • Create a new alternative energy source
  • Help people become an artist
  • Go really retro (aka. living in the past)!
  • Help make reading fun
  • Help keep people safe
  • Make it easier to work from home
  • Gifts for Grandma
  • Help encourage recycling
  • Help people stand out from the crowd
  • Tell the future!
  • Help people to eat more healthy
  • Make wars less violent
  • Fashions… of the future!
  • Living on the go (making things portable)
  • Better Living… through puppets!
  • Achieve self-improvement
  • Create new corporate holidays
  • Help people stay clean and neat
  • Gifts for baby!
  • Help get people out of the house
  • Get that job!
  • Help people quit smoking
  • Help make real life more like cartoons
  • Love and affection (show people you care)
  • Help people with their hobbies
  • Go big!
  • Adulthood… for kids!
  • Help people take back a bad decision
  • Microliving! (miniaturize)
  • Create updated versions of old toys
  • Help people live like a Celebrity
  • Safety inside the home
  • Help people to party!
  • Sports… of the future!
  • Draw inspiration from animals
  • Better living… through balloons!
  • Live like a ninja

I’ve got at least one idea for most of these, but I think my next favorite after the Surly Celebrity Sourdough Starters would have to be the Stand-Up Sit-Down Meal; Which works on the premise that people on the go don’t have time for the traditional sit-down Sunday meal, so this replicates the experience by taking what’s essentially a KFC box with a TV dinner inside, attaching some folding legs (which fold out diagonally when you remove a catch from the underside of the box, then telescope out automatically using a spring and nested cylinders mechanism like a magician’s cane) some simulated bobble-head family members in the lid, and hidden in the base of the box is a modified See-and-Spell type device with a pull cord that will simulate all those awkward dinnertime conversations you remember from growing up like “Roast is a little dry this time, hon…” “Have you been looking for work?” “The Millers just bought another boat” “Panthers might make state championship this year…” “your cousin Millie is pregnant… again” and “when are you going to settle down and find yourself a nice girl/guy?”

1 Like

And as you’re thinking of invention exchanges, it sometimes helps if you can try to think up two different contrasting ideas vaguely on the same theme; one that at least attempts to be helpful, and one exploitative, evil, or at least morally questionable.

While not essential, this can lead to some quite fun back and forth dynamics between the SOL crew and the Mads. They did this a lot during the Joel era, but not so much in later seasons.

For the Stand-Up Sit-Down Meal, I’d pair that with something like the After Dinner Ejector Seat, for when you’re stuck at your in-laws, the meal is done, but people won’t stop yammering on. (though as the Mads discover after trying it, it’s really more suitable for patio dining)

after_dinner_ejector_seat

2 Likes

:star:
Just perfect. You’ve got a real grasp of the show flow. I look forward to reading through your riffs when we’re ready to vote.

Since all the old images appear to be broken, I’m deleting and reuploading my invention exchange storyboards from before. Mainly for posterity, since our fanfic production is likely going to be all new characters (possibly puppets) if we get to the live action stage.

Though I did shoot the camera phone footage for the Telecation skit while I was on holiday last week, just in the off chance we decide to adapt the bit for a new character (Not Fiji, but sand is sand from 3 inches away.)

And my other two submissions (both of which pretty much only work as live-action with humans instead of puppets)

The Stand-Up Sit-Down Meal:

Which works on the premise that people on the go don’t have time for the traditional sit-down Sunday meal, so this replicates the experience by taking what’s essentially a KFC box with a TV dinner inside, attaching some folding legs (which fold out diagonally when you remove a catch from the underside of the box, then telescope out automatically using a spring and nested cylinders mechanism like a magician’s cane) some simulated bobble-head family members in the lid, and hidden in the base of the box is a modified See-and-Spell type device with a pull cord that will simulate all those awkward dinnertime conversations you remember from growing up like “Roast is a little dry this time, hon…” “Have you been looking for work?” “The Millers just bought another boat” “Panthers might make state championship this year…” “your cousin Millie is pregnant… again” and “when are you going to settle down and find yourself a nice girl/guy?”

Paired with the After-Dinner Ejector Seat
after_dinner_ejector_seat
For when you’re stuck at your in-laws, the meal is done, but people won’t stop yammering on. (though as the Mads discover after trying it, it’s really more suitable for patio dining)