Fanficisode: Riffing on The Incredible Petrified World (Voting closed)

For sure, good idea. After Saturday, 9 PM PT, I was going to eliminate the unused columns, which would help a little. Plus I highlighted the rows with riffs, so we can Ctrl+Right to see if there are more riffs off our screens.

It wouldn’t take much more effort to compress them into as few columns as possible – that seems to be 10 at the largest. One side effect of taking the names off is that we cannot enforce “don’t vote on your own riff”.

I guess maybe see what it looks like when all the totally unused columns are removed.
Mixing everything together anonymously does mean it’s harder for voters to play favorites based on who made the joke… but yeah, preventing people from up-voting all their own stuff gold is kind of important too, and that would be a lot harder to figure out with everything stacked like Tetris blocks.

It’s really only the first 2.5 tabs where we have a ton of overlapping content. If it becomes difficult to see all the jokes at once, maybe look at some of the sparsely used columns (if there’s anybody who only contributed one or two jokes here and there) and consider merging those ones into a collective shared column to save space… though after quickly scrolling through the sheets, it looks like most riffers either stayed out of the pool or dove straight in with a cannonball. I’m not seeing a whole lot of casual toe-dipping going on.

Last day for initial riffing! Get your riffs in so we can judge you!

Please also submit your favorite personal riff in the co-director thread so we can figure out who will lead us to a finished script.

1 Like

You want a lot more structure than I do. I’m concerned about the amount of effort required, and coming off as controlling. I agree that we should proceed with a quick shift to voting mode tonight, and we’ll see how it looks on Sunday. If we need to adjust it, even taking it offline until it’s ready, we can discuss it.

What I can easily do now is remove row 2 with the owners’ names, then change the permissions for the owners’ columns from “owner” to “read-only” (no comments) – they will be able to comment on other columns only. That’s 14 riff columns on sheet 1a; 8 columns for sheet 4b.

If we decide to collapse columns together, we’ll have to rely on honour system or manual policing. This will also require about an hour of work per sheet (8 sheets total).

How about meeting halfway? Sheet 1a has six columns with under 10 riffs. If you can tolerate the honour system for those six, we can probably combine them into one column (so 14 becomes 9 or 10 columns).

I say leave the sheet as-is, aside from being unable to comment/medal our own riffs. It’s really not that difficult once you get into the flow of doing it.

I’m not sure of the purpose of the ribbon emoji, though. I’d just leave those blank instead of a meaningless ribbon. Just adds more time to your own personal judging. shrug Whatever floats everyone else’s boat though.

Not to scare people, but we’re at about 2,000 riffs right now! :scream_cat:

Should I be scared because that is a lot, or because that isn’t enough? Help me be appropriately scared.
:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That sounds like a pretty good middle ground. I don’t want to create extra work for you or anybody else. Having 10 or so columns at least means everything should fit nicely on one screen (well, at least for people on a PC), which will make it easier to read, and all jokes get an approximately equal footing. Having to scroll right means all the jokes on the right side of the screen will have lost some of their comedic timing by the time you get to them. (Not a huge disadvantage, but a disadvantage nonetheless.)

I believe most episodes from the classic era had approximately 800 riffs per show, which boils down to about 10 per minute! 2000 is quite a lot, but a lot of those are going to be overlaps based off the same cue line. Still, it probably means we won’t have to do anywhere near as much gap plugging in the draft script stage as I originally thought we would. (And maybe some competing riffs can be shifted elsewhere in the timeline, especially if one of them is more generally observational humor about something that happens quite frequently throughout the film… i.e. scuba diving, cave exploring, Jerry Warren sucking at his job.)

Given that our movie is a bit shorter than normal, our rough draft target riff-count should be somewhere around 670, but I wouldn’t get too hung up on figures. I’d rather shoot for a more relaxed season 1 or 2 riffing rate with some real solid zingers than feel like we need to shoehorn something in to every tiny little gap in the dialogue.

1 Like

Riffing is closed! All participants have been moved to comments only for the voting portion of this fanficisode.

Final riff status is good, and we will have 2,187 riffs to choose from.

1a: 4.2 :large_blue_circle:; 1b: 3.5 :green_circle:; 2a: 3.1 :green_circle:; 2b: 2.7 :green_circle::yellow_circle:; 3a: 3.0 :green_circle:; 3b: 3.0 :green_circle: ; 4a: 3.1 :green_circle:; 4b: 2.9 :green_circle::yellow_circle:

We had 15 contributors. The top contributors were DeepHurting with 618 riffs, abskani with 559, and MyWy with 548. Focusing more on quality than quantity, writing credits for: griff17matt, blybttnfzz, Nathaniel_Niell, Egg, deanadolphin, Hamdinger, Prinkeps, mccrarys, EBK, euphoriafish, Dasgoot and Dawnotello.

I’ll be posting more about next steps shortly.

2 Likes

Next step is voting! Voting will continue for about 3 weeks. Here are some bullet points you should know:

• Go to the same Google sheet to vote. Voting is open to new people, so if you want to check out our work and help select the riffs we use, message me for access to the Google sheet.
  • Don’t vote for your own contributions.
  • You might forget which ones you’ve already read, so go systematically row-by-row. (Removed “column-by-column” since they are changing.)
  • We are voting by adding a comment to each riff.
  • Type Ctrl+Alt+M to add a comment on the highlighted cell. If there is already a comment, that’s fine - you’ll just “reply” instead of “comment”.

How to vote? We are keeping it to a simple Olympic medal method. Because you will be going over 2,000 riffs (!!!), keep it simple! I recommend just one letter per vote.

• G = Comedy gold (also “(G)”, “gold”, and :1st_place_medal: the 1st place medal emoji)
  • S = I love to laugh, long and loud and hard (also “(S)”, “silver”, and🥈)
  • B = Pretty nice! (also “(B)”, “bronze”, and🥉)
  • X or N = no medal (also🎗 ribbon emoji)
  • ? = I don’t get it (also❓question mark emoji). Use this one when you don’t want to give a low vote; similar to not voting at all, but this lets the directors know exactly. Feel free to mix with others, like “B?”

You also have the option to follow your vote with a comment. For example:

• S - funnier after the rock hits him

Got any questions? Let’s hear them.

Since you can also leave comments on the scene cues, this might also be a good opportunity to have everybody vote on which moment they’d like to see for the episode’s stinger. There are a lot of good choices this time around:

16:55 to 17:05 (Dale’s freak-out in the bell and ensuing “Get ahold of yourself!” and tag from Craig)

42:42 to 42:50 (“I’m Paul Whitmore, this is Craig Randall, Lauri Talbot, and Dale Marshall” followed by Cave Torgo’s completely nonsequitor “I’ve been here FOURteen years!”)

49:19 to 49:29 (Craig and Lauri’s passionate embrace following by Cave Torgo perving on them from behind the rock)

1:01:00 to 1:01:04 (Unconscious Paul in the diving bell, “How long’s he been out?” “only for a few minutes” “I’ll get some coffee.”)

You can shut off comment notifications on the Google sheet under Comment History:

I’m not sure if it will affect how others see it, but if I hide the columns showing zero riffs, would that be okay?

Whoops, never mind. After voting on a few I got a notice that the file has had drastic changes, everything I just did was lost, update browser, call my mom, check my mail… And now I see it all nice and squishy

1 Like

@MyWy Is it possible for you to change the title of this thread to:
Fanficisode: Riffing on The Incredible Petrified World (Now With Voting!) (or something similar) and/or put a status update in the first post letting people know we’ve switched to the voting stage?

Drastic changes? You could say that. And if anyone is concerned about your own riffs, I’ve backed up the old spreadsheet (if anyone needs it for some reason). The riffs in the new sheet are going to be mangled and reformed, and we’ll all be partners in the resulting work.

@DeepHurting - will do!

What? I can let people join the sheet anonymously by sharing link instead of gathering e-mail addresses? Well, that’s something to remember for next time…

Voting on The Incredible Petrified World here

I owe you all an apology. My intention by manually adding your e-mail addresses to the sheet was to control access, which I assumed would be better for privacy, plus everyone knew that their e-mail address were being released. If you’d prefer the anonymous access (little late, I know), message me and I’ll kick you off the sheet (you can use the above link to access it).

1 Like

I started doing it then realized I should ask - if someone puts a ? on a riff, is it okay to comment the citation / reference?

2 Likes

After two days of voting I’m making good progress. I’m 15 minutes into the movie! :laughing:

1 Like

At this point, an explanation is not necessary. The ? is to indicate jokes people don’t get, for the co-directors to consider. We want to be able to tell if a joke only resonates with one person.

It will get faster, I promise. Most of the riff are at the front of the movie. I’m 3/4 done, and I’m actually racing to try to make sure the formatting looks good for everyone. It’s a slog! But a fun slog.

1 Like