Favorite Album Art

How about we share some of our favorite album covers/art work?

I’ll get us started :sunglasses::grin:

I love this Hendrix cover because just look how gorgeous it is!

Yes - because it reminds me of the garage sale SF and fantasy I’d find in endless mountains of paperback books.

Kansas rocks! That’s it.

9 Likes

I always like Oingo Boingo’s album art

Only a Lad

R (2)

Good For Your Soul

Nothing to Fear

6 Likes

I love the distinctive album cover art made by Jim Flora (1914-1998)

9 Likes

3 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

I remember seeing this album cover as a kid and being captivated. I couldn’t take my eyes off it.

11 Likes

Frank Frazetta’s album covers for Molly Hatchet were always some of my favorites, this is probably the most iconic one:

8 Likes

Seeing this cover always makes me happy.

Unquestionably one of the best.

9 Likes

Roger Dean is king of the covers for me, with his Yes albums among the best.

On the minimalist flipside, I also really like the covers that Gary Myrick drew for his band’s albums.

7 Likes

I’m a huge fan of Belgian painter Jean-Michel Folon’s work, and I probably never would have heard of him if guitarist Steve Khan hadn’t been a bigger fan of it.

4 Likes

They actually made a Pop Funko layout of this album cover. Space considerations only kept me from getting it.

2 Likes

U2 is my favorite band, and they tend to do photo covers, but the photo collage work on Achtung Baby is pretty iconic.

Achtung baby

The “Pop Art” look of Pop is quite appropriate.

Pop

And Zooropa’s (a criminally underrated album) cover art speaks to me because, well, it looks like something I would try to pull off. :slightly_smiling_face:

Zooropa

3 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

How about some H.R. Geiger?

12 Likes

I got this album specifically because I loved the cover. I don’t know if I ever even listened to it.

6 Likes

John Baizley of the band Baroness has done some amazing cover art for his band’s (and a few other metal bands) album covers. Most involve some tasteful (IMHO) nudity, so I won’t show them here, but their first album cover is safe for work:
Baroness_-_Red_Album

His more recent cover art is more beautiful and complex, but as noted, does feature a bit of nudity here and there. I think it is worth a quick Google if you like this kind of art.

3 Likes

I think of there as being three broad categories of album art

Cat.A - An image that perfectly encapsulates the vibe of an album and stands on its own as a piece of graphic art.

Fig.1 - Hex Enduction Hour by The Fall

Cat.B - An image that perfectly encapsulates the vibe of an album, but doesn’t have much impact in isolation.

Fig.2 - I Don’t Want To Grown Up by Descendents

Cat.C - an excellent, evocative image that is totally misleading because the album is nowhere near as Certified Rockin’ as the cover suggests

Fig.3 - Piledriver by Status Quo.

3 Likes

Ah, the golden age of airbrush! From album covers to the sides of vans, the airbrush ruled them all.

7 Likes