Favorite Cheesy Movie of All Time?

What is your favorite “Cheesy” movie? First, you have to define what a “cheesy” movie is.

In my opinion, a cheesy movie is one that isn’t INTENTIONALLY bad, but ACCIDENTALLY bad.

For me, by that definition, my favorite cheesy movie would have to be - Howard the Duck.

It’s TRYING to be funny… sometimes. But just fails in every possible way.

13 Likes

My family-friendly answer is Hackers, although I don’t even know if I think Hackers is legitimately a “bad” movie so much as a movie that tried really hard and just didn’t quite hit the mark it was aiming for. Cheesy = failure to do the thing they wanted to do, I guess.

My non-family-friendly answer is Showgirls. A true masterpiece of awfulness.

I saw Howard the Duck as a kid and it haunts me to this day though.

12 Likes

I’m so glad that RiffTrax dug up “The Guy From Harlem,” which manages to be bad in so many delightfully unexpected ways.

9 Likes

The Super Mario Bros movie comes to mind. I know cognitively it is bad, but I still love watching it. Recently checked out the Morton-Jankel cut that got released on Archive and was thoroughly entertained seeing deleted scenes and having the tone changed some by removing goofy narration at the outset. Leguizamo and Hoskins. What a team.

8 Likes

Dungeons and Dragons from 2000 is the first thing that popped into my head. It was a movie that was really, really trying, but at the same time didn’t take itself too seriously.

The result was a tonal mess, with Jimmy Olsen from Lois and Clark and a Wayans Brother hamming it up, whilst Jeremy Irons chews scenery like it’s candy. But I can’t help but love it!

7 Likes

Oh man, that movie’s so bad. But Irons makes anything watchable. ANYTHING.

3 Likes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3. The first 2 movies were good, because of the creature effects from the Jim Henson’s Creature Shop. Meanwhile, TMNT 3’s turtles look like dead-eyed corpse shouting out a bunch of stuff, like: “Help! I’m a turtle, and I can’t get up!”… And the hockey scene.

3 Likes

I’ve often spoken my love for ‘Slipstream’ - one of those bad movies that has a good movie peeking through the cracks. I know it’s bad, it’s sometimes confusing as hell, but I also find it totally charming.

2 Likes

Showgirls is very near and dear to my heart- my wife bought it for me on blu-ray. we have a small collection of other, cheesy and riff-worthy movies, but that one I truly enjoy watching. It’s one you cant look away from…

5 Likes

Oh yes, The Guy From Harlem. I’ve seen every MST3K episode and almost every RiffTrax, and I can’t think of a cheesier movie with so much earnestness and heart. Those actors really believed in what they were doing, and the result is legendary. (The Room is probably a close second to this one.)

5 Likes

Favorite cheesy movie from before I knew riffing was a thing: “Attack of the Killer Tomatoes”

Favorite cheesy movie(s) I found through riffing: Phil Smoot’s “Alien Outlaw” and “The Dark Power” They’re so close. So well-intentioned, so much going for them, and yet …

6 Likes

Honestly, anything by Neil Breen is pretty much golden for craziness, unself-aware craziness. Definitely worth a look, for those who haven’t seen his films–the most famous appears to be Fateful Finding, but Twisted Pair is a work of riff/reaction potential as well.

9 Likes

There are many answers to that question. Just a few that immediately spring to mind: The Blob, Invasion of the Saucer Men, Robo Vampire, The Room, Forbidden Zone, Them!, Plan 9 from Outer Space, Mars Attacks!… I know there’s a whole lot more that I can’t think of right now.

7 Likes

Oh man, Robo Vampire. So that really does exist and I didn’t just imagine it in some sort of hallucinogenic fever dream?

3 Likes

Never heard of it before @mattmcg22 @McCloud , but, after a quick google… now I HAVE to watch:

6 Likes

This looks like if Robocop had a DNA of Dracula.

3 Likes

RiffTrax did a take on Robo Vampire if anyone’s interested.

3 Likes

Rifftrax did Robo Vampire and it is GOLD. The riffing obviously, not the movie.

2 Likes

RiffTrax’s version is how I discovered it, it truly is gold. :rofl: Between the grubby print and a sort of grungy haze that permeates the whole movie, I felt like I needed a shower after watching it.

Which, to me, is one mark of a truly great bad movie. See also: Godmonster of Indian Flats, The Beast of the Yellow Night, Wonder Women.

1 Like

I’ve seen Godmonster of Indian Flats (and once was enough), and Beast of the Yellow Night. Haven’t seen Wonder Women though. Planet of the Dinosaurs was another one that had that air. Plus some seriously 70s cheese.

1 Like