Favorite continuity error in an episode.

One of the endearing qualities of the MST3K experiments is always the lack of attention that the filmmakers gave to the films when it comes goofs, visible equipment, cheap sets and other little details that add to the humor. What continuity error still gives you a nice laugh?

My all-time favorite is still the classic ‘Watch out for snakes!’ line (delivered by no one on screen) from Eegah.

Honorable mention just because it gave me a lot of flashbacks to film school was in Laserblast where a camera pan briefly shows the film crew in a mirror reflection.

21 Likes

The dead woman coming back to life in Space Mutiny is my favorite.

74 Likes

mst3k620watch

An off-camera hand dropping a watch into a pool after said watch was already thrown off a balcony, courtesy of Danger!! Death Ray

30 Likes

Those are great choices. The executed soldier who immediately reappears as a camp guard in Red Zone Cuba is good for a laugh (much needed in this grim movie).

I also like the simple-but-jarring ones, like the disappearing pipe in The She Creature or the there-and-gone-again glasses in The Undead.

I tried to find one in The Incredibly Strange Creatures, but it doesn’t have continuity.

17 Likes

and also in Mac and Me.

7 Likes

“The pencil’s gone.”/“The pencil’s back.” from Bride of the Monster and sunglasses/no sunglasses from Mac and Me came immediately to mind … there’s a lot of that sort of thing.

16 Likes

The disappearing/reappearing wounds in the shirtless battle scene in Future War is fun too.

16 Likes

A really minor one that I noticed watching Soultaker last night - the automatic doors at the hospital open for the souls of the protagonists. Though what souls can/can’t interact with and what does/doesn’t effect them is inconsistent throughout the whole film.

14 Likes

If your movie is, let’s say, whurwilf-based, but no two whurwilves in said movie look even remotely alike, all while this one guy’s hair keeps changing every other scene …

30 Likes

Surprised no one has mentioned the self-repairing headlight in Mitchell yet.

17 Likes

Don’t forget the teleporting elf guy in Girl in Gold Boots!

20 Likes

Speaking of teleporting, in The Dead Talk Back, the chase involving Tony Patini and Lt. Lewis featured some. It starts at 6519 Hollywood Blvd. and they head several blocks west, passing Grauman’s Chinese Theater at one point. Then they suddenly appear in a parking lot immediately south of their starting point between Wilcox Ave. and Schroeder Blvd.

Starting at about 22:00

12 Likes

Absolutely. This is THE classic continuity error for me.

5 Likes

How about Horror of Party Beach when the guy who has to get the sodium drives all over New York, and the crew points out how jumbled the geography is

13 Likes

Horror at Party Beach also has one of the most bizarre cases of “behind the black” I’ve ever seen, meaning that anything outside the camera’s range is treated like it doesn’t exist, even if that makes no sense in the film’s world. In this case, a guy stares right at a corpse’s face and doesn’t seem bothered at all. Then the body shifts a bit, so that the audience can see the horribly mutilated face but the character no longer can, and THAT’S when he reacts to it.

14 Likes

I don’t have any specific favorite. But Cave Dwellers, Eegah!, and Gunslinger are al pretty gratuitous.

4 Likes

The part of Robot Monster where Ro-Man knocks the woman unconscious, starts to tie her up, is distracted by a call from the humans… and then returns to find the woman awake and tied-up…

Starts at 1:25:14

7 Likes

For sheer inexplicableness, one that’s definitely up there is Track of the Moon Beast using what’s clearly a still image of the moon in several shots. Just…WHY? How hard is it to film the moon, especially out in the desert?

15 Likes

Thought of another one- Horrors of Spider Island where they leave Los Angeles for New York to get a flight to Singapore.

12 Likes

In one of the opening scenes of Wild Rebels, Rod decides to auction off his belongings…

JOEL: Hey, nice guitar!
[ROD]: What am I bid for it?
CROW: Well I’ll take the gui… huh?!

18 Likes