Favorite film soundtrack?

While some films on Mst3k are near unwatchable without the riffing, some of them are very pleasing to the ears with their music. What’s your favorite score, soundtrack or song from a film on Mystery Science Theater 3000?

4 Likes

Has to be Moon Zero Two.

14 Likes

Can we include RiffTrax here? During the interminable opening segment of The Pyschtronic Man, there’s an amazingly poignant piano piece, I’d love to learn more about it. Is it part of an existing longer piece? Just a little throwaway thing someone put together for the movie?

3 Likes
11 Likes

What they said. :point_up_2:t3: On the MST3K side: Don Ellis’s Moon Zero Two, followed closely by Morricone’s Operation Double 007.

On the RiffTrax side: The Visitor has a soundtrack which is exactly as over-the-top as that movie deserves.

5 Likes
11 Likes

Moon Zero Two, and Village of the Giants

7 Likes

Danger!! Death Ray for being hilariously inappropriate yet catchy.

And as @Stacy_Boyette, @MichaelRobertson, and @FlyingSquid said, it’s hard to go wrong with Ennio Morricone’s scores for Operation Double 007 and Diabolik.

8 Likes

The lounge songs from I Accuse My Parents are pretty catchy, and I can’t blame them for building a host segment around playing one in its entirety. That bouncy shoe selling music, too.

8 Likes

Another vote for Moon Zero Two (it helps that the episode is one of my favorites and I genuinely enjoy the movie itself).

I kind of like the Fugitive Alien music.

This might get me booted out of here, but I actually kind of like the songs the lead guy sings in Wild Rebels.

8 Likes

Hmm, good question. Probably Moon Zero Two, Sadko/Magic Voyage of Sinbad, Operation Double 007, Danger Diabolik, and Mac and Me. The music from Mitchell was actually okay, too.

4 Likes

I’d be a liar if I said that I didn’t love the music from Daddy-O.

Dick Contino’s songs are a lot of fun, and also, JOHN WILLIAMS

It’s the musical selections from Daddy-O that also make me think of the great tunes (instrumental and vocal) from I Accuse My Parents, as @RyanLohner pointed out.

6 Likes

At the moment I would answer the soundtrack to In The Mouth Of Madness (John Carpenter). But also love the soundtracks to Battle Beyond The Stars (James Horner), Hellraiser (Christopher Young), The Night Stalker (Robert Cobert), For A Few Dollars More (Ennio Morricone), and Planet Of The Apes (Jerry Goldsmith).

Liquid Sky and Run Lola Run have interesting soundtracks that intertwine themselves more directly into the films.

3 Likes

Non-MST3K? David Amram’s score for the original The Manchurian Candidate will always be my favorite. Love.

2 Likes

Oh, well if we’re moving on to non-MST3K soundtracks, my favorite is Ennio Morricone’s most experimental soundtrack.

3 Likes

Ah, I was so eager to post my list that I missed the original header that this should be MST3K films. You’ve chosen my favorite, OK Connery. Danger:Diabolik is a close second. Hard to beat a good spy film, especially with Morricone involved.

4 Likes

Favorite soundtrack from Rifftrax is Doctor Who and the Dalek Invasion of Earth. Though I legit enjoy the tunes from The Apple. Truly, BIM’s on the way.

5 Likes

I recently purchased the soundtrack to Saru no Gundan, the Japanese series that was chopped into Time Of The Apes. It was quite jarring to reach this song. It’s the “Sandy Frank Song”, only with the original Japanese lyrics. The effect was akin to hearing the “Gamera Fight Song” for the first time in Japanese.

5 Likes

For Non-MST - Star Trek The Motion Picture. Main theme aside, I cannot get enough of that Klingon theme.

The things Jerry Goldsmith could do with percussion - man!

6 Likes
3 Likes