Favorite Music Videos

Now that the Holiday Music topic has gone out of season, it’s time to get another music thread going. Your favorite music videos… preferably “produced” ones and not just concert clips. Looking for a balance of “good song” and “good video.”

I’ve made a half-assed list of my 20 favorites which will probably change around 2 AM and a million times thereafter. And I’ll start with Number 20.

“Rise” by Public Image Ltd. Otherwise known as “the real epilogue to A Clockwork Orange.” I don’t think Alex… er, John… blinks once in this whole video.

8 Likes

Lots to choose from, but here’s one of my favorites:

6 Likes

For sheer creativity, I love “Lucas with the Lid Off”.

That inspired lunacy of Michel Gondry…

9 Likes

Cool… never heard this song or saw this vid before.

Gondry is awesome. The #1 on my list is one of his, in fact.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I bought Lucas’s album on a whim, and the rest of it is… inconsistent, at best.

But “Lucas with the Lid Off”? Love it, the song and video.

Gondry was a freaking magician.

Michael Gondry and Spike Jonze. Love the hell out of what they did.

2 Likes

This always makes me laugh

6 Likes

I could post dozens upon dozens, but I’ll start with 4

11 Likes

music video vintage GIF

6 Likes

Here’s another one I enjoy when I feel down

19 Likes

For a bit of MST3K flavor, there’s this fan-made music video of Deadly Avenger’s “We Took Vegas”. This was made back in 2012, so it predates the Jonah era, but it’s still worth a look.

It has some adeptly-edited MST3K clips as well as some fun original MST3K artwork throughout!

5 Likes

This is one, out of hundreds of favorite videos: MARINA - Oh No! (I Feel Like I'm The Worst So I Always Act like I'm The Best) [Official Music Video] - YouTube

2 Likes

Movie tributes

Inspired by the works of George Méliès

A homage to the opening sequence in Fellini’s 8 1/2

10 Likes

9 Likes

If we’re going to throw They Might Be Giants into the mix…

8 Likes

I wasn’t sure if we were going to allow goofiness or not, but here are a couple of more serious ones that I love.

This song is one of my favorites by Billy Joel (and I’m a huge fan). It was a single release, rather than part of an album. I get chills when it gets to the chorus.

3 Likes

Oh, nice! Excellent choice. I’m something of a fan myself, too.

For a performance video, I always dug “Honesty”.

For a concept video, I have to go with “Pressure”.

4 Likes

The “Pressure” video is a weird one. It kind of reminds me of this one by Tears for Fears (as far as weird imagery, not the actual video).

4 Likes

Oh, but with performance videos, I really like “All for Leyna”

4 Likes

“I’ve got two ideas for the video for your first single, guys. The first one explores the complex relationships between …”

“What’s the second idea?”

“Oh. Ummm … explosions. Lots of them.”

“Sold. When do we shoot?”

5 Likes