Favorite of the Gizmoplex Vault Picks: Round 3

From Gamera:

8 Likes

Whurwilf, Pod and the giant bugs were the powerhouses for me, but Gams is pretty wonderful too, surely, he’ll get some voter love soon?

And don’t call me Shirley

6 Likes

Tough call between Pod People and Werewolf. I might lean more towards Werewolf because it’s just that more bright and enthusiastic.

4 Likes

Also: New bumpers?! I know what I’m watching later tonight!

4 Likes

Pod People, out of nostalgia for the number of times I rented the VHS from Blockbuster as a kid. It’s how I introduced one group of friends to MST3K!

5 Likes

Lots of great choices! I ultimately went with Pod People because it is one of my comfort episodes. The Beginning of the End was the first MST3K I bought on DVD, and I bought it on the basis that it had Peter Graves in it. I loved it even more once I had actually visited Chicago, and got to see where the giant crickets invaded and also understood more of the jokes.

King Dinosaur I’ve never made it though, and I think the only reason why I have watched the entirety of The Killer Shrews once is because I was taping it off of Comedy Central. That is such a tough slog of a movie.

4 Likes

Beginning of the End is the best episode full stop, but there’s a nostalgia argument for Pod People because it has so many iconic riffs and bits in it. So I won’t rankle if it takes the crown this round.

As long as it isn’t Werewolf because that is a legitimately sub-par episode on all counts. Why people have such a soft spot for it is beyond me.

2 Likes

See, I’m on the other side of this. Werewolf is one of my favorite episodes. The riffs are sharp and the movie is one of those where all the characters seem human-adjacent, that is to say, they all look like people and say words like people but it doesn’t really quite make sense. This sort of thing appeals to me.

Pod People is one of those movies where the filmmakers poorly rip off one genre and then poorly rip off another genre and it’s just misery to watch. Sure, it has “Idiot Control Now”, but Werewolf has THIS:

7 Likes

My fandoms rarely collide like this, but the recently wrapped season of RuPaul’s Drag Race featured a 60s girl group challenge. I spent the whole episode yelling CATEGORY IS CLOSED at my TV.

2 Likes

This is a tough poll, because the movies are so different from each other. I went with The Killer Shrews because I can pretty much watch a bad old b&w monster movie any time, whereas more recent fare like Pod People or Werewolf I have to be in the mood for. The giant grasshoppers are a close second behind the collies in bathmats, though.

5 Likes

“Oh, nothing, I GUESS.”

4 Likes

I haven’t voted on Round 2 yet, and this one’s even harder.

5 Likes

“Well, whose story is this, Carol?” :two_hearts:

5 Likes

My wife is also a fan and watches repeatedly on Netflix. It is a unique window on US culture.

Every once in a while a relatively obscure person/celebrity will come up in conversation and I’m like, how do you know about them? And more often than not the answer is “I saw them on Drag Race.”

A few months ago it was Charo.

5 Likes

You know… I think you just summed up why I’m a fan of both Drag Race and MST3K. :hugs:

5 Likes

“Say, Mike, you didn’t really date a guy named Steve, did you?”

6 Likes

I should have voted Pod People just because it’s such a classic, but I wanted to be honest about it and out of all of those, the one I enjoy the most is Killer Shrews.

6 Likes

My wife is ALSO a fan of Ru Paul- my favorite thing to do is play my Switch while she watches and then suddenly comment on how much I like or hate one of the queens, by name. She’s always surprised by how much attention I’m actually paying to the show.

That being said, I really hated Dya Betty.

That being said, Pod People (still) followed by Werewolf, but only because I don’t know the other episodes

3 Likes

Peaked when she ate the bug, no argument here :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Or Kreskin’s Pickers.

No need to rest your mandolin on a stand, or add on a strap. It’ll stay in place on its own.

2 Likes