Favorite of the Gizmoplex Vault Picks: Round 4 - June 2022

I have to say, when I saw the list that one immediately jumped to the top of my watchlist just because of good old Estelle.

6 Likes

Cave Dwellers had me on the floor gasping for breath. It was so funny it nearly killed me. In the immortal words of Lloyd Bridges as quoted elsewhere by Vice-Brigadier Sir Thomas Bullhead Servo:

8 Likes

There is no Saxon in Deathstalker. The bad guy is Thom Christopher (Crabby’s wearer in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom). Also features Terri Treas, who was in the TV series Alien Nation.

5 Likes

I know, but the joke is that Saxon could be swapped in for any of the similar looking baddies in so many movies that “Saxon” is now the default bad guy in any movie no matter what it is. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Ah, OK then.

But I would argue that Christopher is even better at scenery chewing than Saxon is.

7 Likes

Sinbad (he’s not) brings me a warm joy that few episodes can rival. He gets my vote, although this is a tough batch to pick from.

I have to say that Cave Dwellers has possibly the funniest riff ever of a moment the filmmakers were too cheap to reshoot - “We just mopped there.”

8 Likes

I have a definite favorite here, but I would never want to sway anyone’s votes one way or another.

All I will say is that this is a powerhouse roundup of episodes all the way around, and it’s great to see a Vault Picks collection of episodes this solid!

8 Likes

“Better” is not a word that quite seems to fit for this characteristic. :slight_smile: Hmm - Saxon in Mitchell or Christopher in Deathstalker? Which is the cheesiest? They’re both balding and sleazy so they tie on that count. They’re both super oily and arrogant in their delivery. I don’t know. I honestly think they’re pretty much interchangeable. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

While i do have a love of Deathstalker and the 4 Warriors from Hell Who Barely Show up, Ator is too classic to pass up.
I loved all of them except the Sinbad one. I will add ‘Magic Sword’, is actually one of the best films on its own they ever did. Easily watchable without the riffs.

2 Likes

I had assumed your fave of these based on your user name.

4 Likes

Actually, there is one and only one:

Yes, you just saw Reb Brown hang glide on a bat with his theme music playing. It’s a perfect storm.

5 Likes

Ha :smiley: Quest is actually my fourth favorite on this list, I just wanted a Pearl related name and I always loved the bot’s reaction to the mint. I know I said I couldn’t pick but if I had to I’d rank these:

1. Magic Sword – the Estelle song juuust nudged it past:
  2. Cave Dwellers (my introductory episode)
  3. Deathstalker and the Crystal Doorknob from Grandma’s House
  4. Quest of the Delta Mmm-bop Knights
  5. The Magic Voyage of He’s Not Sinbad
  6. Merlin, blech
5 Likes

My ranking:

Sinbad
Magic Sword
Deathstalker
Cave Dwellers
Merlin
Delta Knights

My world is a lonely place.

3 Likes

Cave Dwellers is where it should be … but how in the WORLD is Merlin’s Shop in the #2 spot? Who is stuffing that ballot box? Someone is playing a sick, sick joke here… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’m only just learning that there are a lot of people who don’t like Merlin’s Shop. I thought we all agreed it was one of the greats! Evil Toy Monkeys! Comeuppance for snooty niche shop critics! Mean psychic lady! Rock and Roll Martian! ERNEST BORGNINE!

5 Likes

Haha, man I am in the minority… These are all great episodes, but I do love “The Magic Sword”!

5 Likes

This is an almost impossible task—I could easily have put Magic Sword and three others at the top. Surprised by the strong showing for Merlin’s Shop, which I have pegged at a solid 11th place on this list. Somebody’s favorite is always someone else’s least favorite, and vice versa.

8 Likes

I like Merlin all right, but I don’t think it measures up to the others on this list. I chose The Magic Sword as my fave but Cave Dwellers would be a close second.

4 Likes

No kidding. Outstanding group of episodes. Rewatching Magic Sword lifted my opinion of that one but across the board, I love the Sythia intros. Soooo fun!

8 Likes

The only one I don’t care for is Delta Knights, it’s never put me under its spell. The rest would all make my top 100, with Sinbad, Dwellers and Stalker among my top 50. Sword, then Merlin outside of that.

I kinda of thought that with Mordrid being shown, the Vault Picks would be filled with magic, and that’s what we should really be voting for.

Based on ‘best magicians’ Cave Dwellers takes the prize, if only for Sandy

8 Likes