Favorite of the Gizmoplex Vault Picks: Round 6 - August 2022 (Not-So-Superhero Month)

None of these are on my Oh yeah! list and none really leap out as an obvious winner, but I think I’m going to have to give it to my man Krankor.

4 Likes

If only he wore a colorful costume… or a mask… or a helmet… or a clown wig with a helmet

FAlien3

7 Likes

Well, he is wearing 70s clothes. Collars and flares!

5 Likes

:musical_note: Captain Yesterday is fast! Also he is from the past! Not just fast but from the past, Captain Yesterday! :musical_note:

3 Likes

The other thing he needed was colorful villains, like maybe those turkey’s he fought with, could have actually been dressed like turkeys!

4 Likes

Hey! I’m from the past, too! Does that make me a superhero?

4 Likes

Honestly?

Is your last name Forester, because who else would try and make me choose between these… delightful gems?!?!

:musical_note::notes: HE TRIED TO KILL ME WITH A FORKLIFT!!:notes::musical_note:

:musical_note::notes:I love Ken :notes::musical_note: (wait is that FA2? Or, is the one that they do in the round FA2?) hmmm

:musical_note::notes:Master Nija Theme Song!:notes::musical_note:

Wild World of Batwoman … Just bonkers nonsense… and Servo losing his mind.

Prince of Space? ‘Nuf said.

And, while some may cringe at Neptune Men, it could be worse? They could have come from Uranus.

I don’t know how to choose.

Missing option is a double feature of the two Master Ninja movies. :thinking:

Hmmm.

6 Likes

I think that depends on your PR people.

4 Likes

Neptune Men would fare better, I think, if it wasn’t in the shadow of Prince of Space. There’s some deep hurting for sure, but also some great riffing. The movie just needed a good villain.

4 Likes

Oh sure, your weapons may be useless against Prince of Space… but whole forklifts are useless against Ken!

9 Likes

It also doesn’t help that “Space Chief” sounds like a brand of premium gasoline from the 1950s.

7 Likes

Here’s the official ranking (according to me)…

1. Prince of Space (7/10): This post-war sci-fi schlock is so instantly memorable and so completely absurd that it offered a target-rich movie for Mike & the Bots. The movie is insane, but has a cornball watchability all by itself that puts it right in the ‘so bad its good’ butter zone that puts MST episodes on their best footing. Never boring … always silly … and chock full of some of the best riffs around (which PoS makes almost too easy). This is top-20 MST material and deserves the #1 spot in this list for sure.

2. Fugitive Alien (7/10): A very close 2nd fiddle to Prince of Space, this movie only comes in behind it because it does have some areas where the movie itself drags a bit. A Sandy Frank slice of nonsense, it came at a time when MST was starting to swing for the fences and come into its own. Great riffs with some all time classics. Always a good watch with the alcoholic Cap’n Joe, multiple Kens, and Rocky (again?) and forklifts. PoS wins by a nose here.

3. Master Ninja 1 (6/10): Episodic 80s ninja nonsense epitomized, this Van Cleef and Van Patten van-vehicle is a solid outing for MST, though not as memorable as its competitors. A bit slow in places but the riffs are good.

4. The Wild Wild World of Batwoman (6/10): This one is a tough one sometimes because the quality is so bad. The 60s T&A equivalent of an episode of Charlie’s Angels meets “Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy”. It’s so non-PC about so many things that it is sometimes hard to take, but its so insanely ridiculous that mostly pulls through with its own badness. Definitely a weaker offering in this list though.

5. Master Ninja II (5.5/10): The sequel no one wanted, this one is just a less entertaining version of Master Ninja I. The ‘episodes’ it was spliced from are worse, and the riffing just seems to have a tough time getting anything good out of what are ostensibly some cookie-cutter bad TV episodes that illustrate why the “Master Ninja” TV show never got picked up. Still decent MST, but not great.

6. Invasion of the Neptune Men (5/10): If Master Ninja II is a worse version of Master Ninja I, then IotNM is 10X the worse version of Prince of Space. The Duke Nukem “Space Chief” protagonist is bland and uninteresting. The flock of kids are forgettable non-factors. The aliens are literally generic, faceless nobodies. This movie has none of the personality that Krankor, the effeminate PoS, and the hapless Prof Mackim brought to PoS. Even the riffs seem to have a tough time. Still MST, which is always good, but as MST eps go this one is a benchwarmer.

3 Likes

I would have preferred they picked Fugitive Alien 2. I think it’s overall more entertaining as a film and the riffs are funnier. I guess it doesn’t have the iconic forklift scene though.

5 Likes

Also … Another opportunity for a double feature… Replace Neptune Men with FA2…

Perhaps the boffins working behind the scenes warned the people in charge of choosing this months movies; that one month with four movies made to be viewed as double features would cause structural failures in the Gizmoplex? KingaChrome leaks? Spontaneous Gamera flatulence?

We’ll never know.

Oh well.

4 Likes

But then there wouldn’t have been at least two Sci-Fi Channel episodes, and they seem to be making an effort every month to over-represent the Sci-Fi era.

3 Likes

WWWoB has always been one of my absolute favorites and I’ve been surprised it’s not in more people’s top-10 or 20. It’s so overwhelmingly ridiculous! And I will never not laugh out loud at “that’s twenty pounds of butt in ten-pound-butt-capacity jeans” or Servo screaming END! END!

6 Likes

The ending of Batwoman is just gold. Everything after “Well that’s six, they’ve got a volleyball team” is just bonkers and I absolutely love it.

7 Likes

First off, I absolutely adore this month’s selections!

That said, my vote was easy. It had to be Prince of Space! It’s 90 minutes of pure joy! Honesty, just thinking about it gets me smiling. :smiley:

Fugitive Alien is iconic, Master Ninja I and Master Ninja II are a tremendous duo, The Wild World of Batwoman has some classic moments (END!!!) and even the one I’m not as high on, Invasion of the Neptune Men definitely has some fun stuff going on (Noh Theater!).

Some strong ideas here for sure.

5 Likes

I want to vote, but the world championship is tonight.

3 Likes

of what

7 Likes