Favorite other work by writers and directors of riffed films

Since I’m loving the thread about actors from films that have appeared on the show, I figured we could also use one for the talent behind the camera.

One of my favorites to bring up is the writer of I Accuse My Parents, Arthur Caesar. A decade earlier he’d won an Oscar for Manhattan Melodrama (ie, the film John Dillinger was killed at), standing as proof that he actually could write a good gangster story.

5 Likes

Roger Corman made a lot of bad films and a lot of fun films and my favorite film by him that is both fun and bad is Gas-s-s-s, which was his attempt to appeal to the hippie kids and it’s a psychedelic mess. With Bud Cort, Ben Vereen, Country Joe McDonald and a pre-Laverne and Shirley Cindy Williams. Check it out if you can, it’s a trip.

4 Likes

George Worthing Yates, screenwriter of such MST3K titles as Tormented and The Amazing Colossal Man, is also the screenwriter of classics like Them! and Earth vs The Flying Saucers.

Quinn Martin, producer of Code Name: Diamond Head, made a lot of good TV and pretty much created the detective genre many of his shows fall into.

One might argue that Charles B. Pierce, director of Boggy Creek II: And the Legend Continues, made a good movie with The Town That Dreaded Sundown.

And there are few discussions scattered around the board here about how Aleksandr Ptushko (of The Day The Earth Froze, The Magic Voyage Of Sinbad, etc fame) is actually a good director of these and other films if you see them in the restored original format.

9 Likes

EASY. Marooned/Space Travelers’ John Sturges of course made The Great Escape and The Magnificent Seven.

But that episode was always kind of an oddball pick, so I’ll pick a few others. Roger Corman accidentally made a couple good movies like The Raven, X: The Man with X-Ray Eyes, and The Secret Invasion.

Mitchell’s Andrew V. McLaglen actually was a really good action director, making classics like The Wild Geese, Bandolero, and North Sea Hijack/ffolkes.

Moon Zero Two’s Roy Ward Baker made several excellent films like A Night to Remember, The Snows of Kilimanjaro, and The One that Got Away.

4 Likes

I totally agree about Ptushko!

3 Likes

The writer for Mitchell was also a well-respected British TV writer who did a lot of police and crime show work.

4 Likes

Great call!

2 Likes

Mario Bava!!! The director of “Danger: Diabolik” made several of my all time favorite movies, including what is by many considered the greatest work of gothic horror, “Black Sunday,” starring Barbara Steele, and “Black Sabbath” - a trilogy of stories which featured one of Boris Karloff’s finest later-year performances (in my opinion). The following is a really very effective and frightening scene from Black Sabbath.

7 Likes

Good choice as well! Even if he did also make Dr. Goldfoot and the Girl Bombs with Vincent Price. :wink:

Ennio Morricone, who did the music for O.K. Connery (Operation Double 007) and Danger: Diabolik, is a revered genius of his art, so he belongs on this listed of genuinely talented people in dubious films.

8 Likes

Robert Clouse was responsible for one of the episodes featured in Master Ninja.

He also did the memorable Enter the Dragon, a personal favorite.

(He ALSO did Gymkata, so…)

6 Likes

One I just found out: the writers of Kitten with a Whip, Bob Wade and H. Bill Miller (who typically used the singular pen name “Whit Masterson”) wrote the source novel for the Orson Welles classic Touch of Evil (aka the movie where Charleston Heston plays a Mexican, though it definitely deserves to be known for more).

7 Likes

Also attached to I Accuse My Parents were Jay Livingston and Ray Evans, who would later win three Best Song Oscars. Probably the best remembered is “Que Sera, Sera” from The Man Who Knew Too Much.

5 Likes

John Sturges and Roy Ward Baker were the first that came to mind for me. The Great Escape is my favorite movie of all time. Also Roy Ward Baker did Quartermass and the Pit which I consider a great movie.

I’d also throw Jeannot Szwarc who did Code Name: Diamond Head and Jaws 2, which I’d argue wasn’t a bad film at all.

2 Likes

I also forgot about Gerd Oswald who did Agent for H.A.R.M. and the original A Kiss Before Dying with Robert Wagner and Joanne Woodward. That was quite good.

4 Likes

Woa! Wasn’t familiar with these songwriters. They also did the theme songs for Mr. Ed and Bonanza. And… “Silver Bells”! They could have retired after that one

5 Likes

He also directed episodes of Star Trek, Twilight Zone, and Outer Limits. Good choice.

2 Likes

Jean Sullivan, who played the mom in Squirm, was Errol Flynn’s love interest in Uncertain Glory (one of Flynn’s better ‘war time’ movies)

Her list of credits on IMDB is pretty short, apparently she was primarily a theater actress.

How she ended up in Squirm is anyone’s guess.

3 Likes

Szwarc also did Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, and Christopher Plummer.

2 Likes

AKBD dying is truly chilling.

2 Likes

And Szwarc did quite a few episodes of Fringe, a hugely underappreciated show I’m very grateful somehow lasted as long as it did.

2 Likes