Favorite Point & Click Games

Much love for all the Lucas Arts games (just started a re-play of Fate of Atlantis)

But I also have a lot of love for Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers - Original voice cast only. Tim Curry, Michael Dorn, Mark Hamill.
None of this “we lost the masters (and rights) so we re-voiced the game for the remaster” nonsense.

3 Likes

You are my favoritist person right now! I was going to post this myself!

(How do you feel about the other games in the series?)

3 Likes

So yes, The Longest Journey (has the 2nd best Crow after our boy here) is my favorite of that era.
I love all the Sam & Max games, both OG Freelance police and the Telltale serieses.
I also really like Neverhood (even though the creator is super problematic).
There’s a really creepy of called Sanitarium. Mother is good…
Grim Fandango was so well done. Run Pigeons! It’s Robert Frost!
Aaand I’ll also mention Starship Titanic, which was what I thought the Gizmoplex tour most reminded me of.

3 Likes

There’s a series of games that sort of fall in this genre that I enjoy. The Room series is creepy and fascinating, and I highly recommend them.

3 Likes

I grew up on these! Sierra adventure games were basically my childhood. King’s Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Quest for Glory, all the quests really.

Although the move from a text-based interface to point and click was very controversial in my household. My mom said it “took all the thinking out of it!”

8 Likes

Tangential to point’n’clicks: text based

I got the babel fish

3 Likes

I played the sequel. The stealth and action bits didn’t work. I’ve played stealth and action games and found their implementation frustrating. Story was good.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Pouring one out for the Legend of Kyrandia games.

Also, don’t sleep on anything under the Wadget Eye Games label, especially the Blackwell series.

6 Likes

Monkey Island series, although does Myst count as point and click because I love those too.

4 Likes

1 Like

Despite being a huge Douglas Adams fan, I was never able to complete Starship Titanic, though the feel of that game has always stuck with me, and was also the first thing I imagined when the Gizmoplex was first described in the Kickstarter. So glad to see that the Gizmoplex looks to be a version of Starship Titanic that I can actually complete!

I was a massive click n point adventure game fan growing up. One that hasn’t been mentioned here that I believe should not be left off the must-play lists of these games is the lesser-known “Toonstruck”. It’s available through GOG and Steam, stars Christopher Lloyd and features voice talent superstars such as Dan Castellanetta, Tim Curry, Dom Deluise and Tress MacNeille.

Sadly, because it was so poorly marketed, it went under the radar for most people in the 90s and though most of the production work was done for a sequel, Toonstruck 2 was never released and the game ends on a bit of a frustrating cliffhanger. Still, I would rate it up there with Day of the Tentacle in terms of entertainment value and visual appeal. Think “Who Framed Roger Rabbit” but as an adventure game.

Oh, and don’t be fooled by the cutesy graphics. The game gets a little dark as it goes on. Wouldn’t say it’s suitable for younger kids.

3 Likes

The point & click games I grew up playing are: Putt-Putt Travels Through Time, Blue’s Clues: Blue’s Art Time Activities, and Madeline European Adventures. There were also some other P&C games I played, but it’ll take too long for me to list them all.

4 Likes

Though “Game” is rather loose here…

3 Likes

Oh, you name it. Sam & Max, Monkey Island, Space Quest, King’s Quest, Day of the Tentacle, Neverhood, and there was a neat-but-obscure game called Normality that was fun and starred Corey Feldman.

3 Likes

I was more into Infocom text adventures in the classic era, but there were a couple of somewhat later ones I loved.

Ellison himself voiced the computer (perfectly)!

8 Likes

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Unavowed from Wadjet Eye. That game was awesome.

4 Likes

That was Pom Pom’s costume in the last Homestar Halloween bit, wasn’t it?

1 Like

I wasn’t keen on the pixel hunt nature of Maniac Mansion.

2 Likes

Oh I still have my copy of Toonstruck! I remember it well! That game is very 90’s and 90’s humour. (And whoooao not for kids)

1 Like