Favorite protagonist from an MST3K film?

Continuing the discussion from Who is your favorite villain from a movie featured on MST3K?:

Inspired by the above thread, who is your favorite hero from an MST3K film?

For me it’s the tough-as-nails Beverly Garland as Sheriff Rose Hood in Gunslinger.

25 Likes

He’s a plastic surgeon … he’s a hypnotist … he’s a Scottish man with a Scottish brother but an American accent … he sat on his glasses once … it’s Dr. Neil Connery.

21 Likes

Did you know he went to the University of Minnesota? He did.

19 Likes

Awesome choice!

5 Likes

vadinho

He wasn’t the title character, but I was all about Vadinho from The Pumaman. He was competent AND likeable.

20 Likes

I’ve read complaints that -while Reg Park was the biggest Hercules- he was not the most charismatic. Having seen him in other Herc flicks, yeah, he’s no Steve Reeves. But he’s so wonderfully perfect in Captive Women. I love watching the episode because I enjoy Reg, he’s good natured, and huge.

Plus he takes a lot of naps… and that’s a hero I can relate to.

16 Likes

I now this may be a controversial choice, but I have to go with Tarl Cabot. Cabot. Cabot…

No. Stop. Settle.

Goofy as Outlaw of Gor is, after spending five years in a distance relationship, I kinda relate to the nerdy college professor whose girlfriend is in another dimension.

8 Likes

Fingal! I don’t care that he doesn’t dopple- he makes me tingle!

16 Likes

Meanwhile, Reb and Cisse over there like…

20 Likes

Aw, Blast Hardcheese, I still put my faith in you :black_heart:

7 Likes

Federal Agent Sam Casey. He’s so mellow!

10 Likes

AND an onion!

4 Likes

I generally like Tommy Kirk, so his character in Catalina Caper or Village of the Giants gets a nod, but I’m gonna go and say the main character of Giant Gila Monster. He was a sweetheart and pretty darn selfless. I also am one of the few that unironically liked his songs.

I sing whenever I sing whenever I siiiiiing… BANGS HAMMER

12 Likes

Oh, I don’t know.

I’ll go with Carrie from Girl/Lover’s Lane.

She is so very!

But Beverly Garland is no second fiddle, neither.

7 Likes

Agree that she’s one of my faves. Rewatched this a while back and the movies is actually very watchable. Also John Ireland does a stand up job as a villain that almost redeems himself. I bought into both their performances.

And any Peter Graves as the lead. Because he’s the man.

8 Likes

Let’s not forget our man of the many Steves.

(From Night of the Blood Beast)

8 Likes

Daddy-O is a surprisingly compelling character, as an everyman truck driver caught up in a situation totally out of his control that costs him his livelihood when his license is suspended, and does some competent detective work to clear his name. Even the infamous apple slap really isn’t that weird in context.

8 Likes

Jimmy and Philippe from Beast of Hollow Mountain were both very charming heroes

13 Likes

Lurve.

2 Likes

Brick Mancake.

2 Likes