Favorite Sports Teams

Hi folks. I wanted to get to know everyone a bit better, so I decided to ask about something most of us are interested in: what are your favorite sports teams? Here are mine:
MLB: St. Louis Cardinals/San Diego Padres
NFL: None at the moment, I lost two teams to Los Angeles and one to Phoenix
NBA: Never had one
NHL: St. Louis Blues
NCAA: Illinois, Missouri, San Diego State
Soccer/Football: USA, England, Mexico(waiting for St. Louis City FC to enter MLS)
So let’s have it, what are your favorite ones? Let’s keep all rivalries civil and friendly.

5 Likes

I’ll give you a hint

7 Likes

I’m a hometown fella. I cheer for Minnesota across the board.

3 Likes

In order of slavish followingness:

Formula 1: Williams F1 Racing.
Cricket: Gotta love the Aussies!
NFL: 49ers.

That is all.

4 Likes

I’m primarily a golf fan, so until the Ryder and Presidents Cups, we don’t have teams. When we do, it’s Team USA. The players I usually follow are Mickelson, B Watson, DeChambeau, Rahm and Morikawa, and I always watch out for what McIlroy is up to.

I keep half an eye on Cleveland’s Browns and soon-to-be-renamed Indians (I’m hoping they opt for ‘Cleveland Rocks’). When I tell people I’ll watch the Superbowl when the Browns are in it, the usual response is, “So, you never plan to watch the Superbowl.”

Outside of that, it’s going to be the Toledo Mud Hens. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll watch any sport except motor racing and golf. I am casually into everything else, save soccer/football and track and field. Those are MY sports. Let’s see, fave teams:

NFL: Indianapolis Colts
NBA: Indiana Pacers
MLB: Chicago Cubs; AAA Indianapolis Indians
NHL: St. Louis Blues

College sports aren’t my thing at all, but the one college game I care about is the Army/Navy football game. GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!!

And for soccer, we gotta go by leagues:

USL: Louisville City FC (my home squad)
NWSL: Racing Louisville FC (my home squad)
MLS: Columbus Crew (I’ve supported the LA Galaxy in the past, but that was mostly for Donovan, Beckham, and Keane)
EPL: Leicester City and Brighton Hove & Albion
Bundesliga: Bayern Munich
(don’t really follow Serie A or La Liga)
International: USA, England, Germany, Uruguay

3 Likes

PACKERS, WOOO! I see you are a man of good taste.

4 Likes

Even though I’m a Virginian I support the Packers. When I visited Wisconsin I was impressed by the fervour and loyalty they instill. It’s positively infectious (as is the deliciousness of cheese curds).

The only sport I would watch with any regularity is Rollerball.

5 Likes

Most live sports commentary is unfunny riffing. But listening to baseball announcers for a losing team in September is usually very funny riffing. Fingers crossed that the Braves will be unfunny!

1 Like

MLB: Don’t really follow the sport, but will watch the Blue Jays if they’re on.
NFL: Patriots
NBA: None since the Sonics left Seattle. will take in a Raptors game when I’m in TO
NHL: Don’t watch hockey (I know! A Canadian who doesn’t like hockey???!!!)
NCAA: Syracuse for basketball; Wolverines and Fighting Irish for football
Soccer: Man City in EPL; Netherlands in World Cup/Euro Cup; Ajax in Eredivisie; Bayern Munich in Bundesliga
Other: All blacks in rugby; Bulldogs in AFL

2 Likes

Baseball: Arizona Diamondbacks (yeah, we’re horrific this year, but we’ll always have 2001), AAA El Paso Chihuahuas
NFL: Arizona Cardinals
NBA: Phoenix Suns (GO SUNS GO!!!)
NHL: Arizona Coyotes
NCAA: Texas Tech
Soccer/Football: USA, Italy, USL El Paso Locomotive

2 Likes

My dad was a HUGE Browns fan. He would’ve loved how good they’ve gotten in the last couple years!

1 Like

Baseball: New York Mets
NFL: New York Jets, Minnesota Vikings
NBA: New York Knicks
NHL: New York Islanders
NCAA: Notre Dame St Johns
Soccer/Football: Nope

2 Likes

Speaking of the points where riffing and sports meet, there were two video games (NHL: Rock the Rink, and a baseball game which I’m not recalling at this time.)

In these games, the announcers were hilarious both in general, and in connection to gameplay.

I’ve heard this practice was stopped because it was “unrealistic and wrecking the games” but end of the day, who knows.

1 Like

Hey-o, El Paso! You guys have been doing pretty nicely out there in your Simulation! Still up on New Mexico?

2 Likes

NFL: 49ers

Don’t really have a favorite team for any other sports. I’m not a huge sports guy, though.

3 Likes

Still here!

2 Likes

I’m on Team Djokovic now that Federer finally choked.

I like the Mariners: common source of mockery for all, including the Rifftrax crew. But who recently scored a walk-off grand slam recently against Tampa Bay, that band of miscreants?

In NHL: Buffalo Sabres.

Golf, and the kind of football the Brits choose to call “soccer,” I care less than nothing about, to the point of active scorn and mockery. Throw cricket in that mix as well.

American Football? Seahawks. They’ve had some impressive looks at part of the prize recently.

Boxing is the only sport besides tennis and occasionally baseball that I really care about, though. People call me crazy and wrong, but I thought Mayweather destroyed McGregor in their matchup a few years ago. Every single round, Mayweather was a pure fighter against that Irish punk.

No, I don’t watch at home. No TV. I catch a few minutes most days at a bar after work.

1 Like

Detroit across the board. Except NBA. I have never got into basketball.

1 Like

Can I just say that Minor League Baseball has some of the best team names? You’ve genuinely got the Rocket City Trash Pandas, the Akron Rubber Ducks, the Hartford Yard Goats and the Amarillo Sod Poodles

1 Like