Favorite Sports Teams

My family keeps their eyes on the Quad City River Bandits, and on our Route 66 trip in 2019, we went to an Albuquerque Isotopes game (yes, entirely named that as a joke from The Simpsons)

1 Like

I’m pretty sportsy, and if it’s sports, I’ll probably watch and enjoy it. My major team list:

MLB – San Francisco Giants
MiLB – All Giants affiliates, plus the Augusta Greenjackets and Quad Cities River Bandits
NHL – San Jose Sharks, Tampa Bay Lightning
ECHL – Atlanta Gladiators
AFL – Adelaide Crows
NLL – Georgia Swarm
Formula E Racing – Team Nissan (Rowland and Buemi)
Squash – Gaultier, ElShorbagy, Massaro
MLS – Atlanta United
Disc Golf – Paige Pierce

Also, I referee roller derby. GO ATLANTA ROLLER DERBY!

2 Likes

Nice! What’s your derby name? (If you’re comfy revealing that) Banked or flat track?

I knew a bunch of skaters for Naptown Roller Derby and Circle City Derby (Indianapolis), so I ran with those folks for a while. One of my best friends is a photographer / quasi assistant coach for IJRD and the Kalamazoo Junior Squads, so I stay pretty up to date with at least Midwest derby.

I thought about playing for one hot minute, then realized my bad balance would probably give me a forced injury retirement sooner rather than later! :laughing:

2 Likes

Ooooo… would this be the best place to post my monologue about how tribalism, epitomized my modern professional sports, is destroying our civilization by degrees?

2 Likes

Ugh…how could I forget cricket? I’m a West Indies diehard, even if they break my heart most of the time.

1 Like

It’s actually a perfect derby name for a MSTie. I’m Cecil B. DeShill. I go by “CB” most of the time, and I make tons of “ready when you are, CB” jokes.

Back around 2008, I got my start in derby through Gold Coast Derby Grrls, and I ran their video production unit. So, when they asked if i wanted to take a derby name, I of course wanted to pick a joke on a famous director. I’d thought about George Pukeas, Stanley Kubreak, and Riddle-y-Shot, but Cecil B. DeShill had a better ring to it. We’re very historical in the Atlanta Roller Derby refs shop; my co-head official is Brawn F. Kennedy, boyfriend of Human Missile Crisis.

I’ve seen Naptown in the playoffs before, and fun fact…way back around 2008, the first team to visit Gold Coast Derby Grrls from out of state was Kalamazoo! I’ll never forget that night. We were so proud to have an out-of-state visiting team. The rink was right next to a tattoo shop and some of the skaters got each other’s team logos inked on. Such a hoot.

2 Likes

Big into hockey so I’m a huge Wings Fan - Fan of all pro Detroit teams and UofM athletics

1 Like

New song about recently injured Braves outfielder Ronald Acuna

Ms Webster does dreamy stuff, but there’s always an edge (this time it’s the horns)

1 Like

Club Rugby: Wigan (Super League) & Canberra Raiders (NRL)
International Rugby; England RL & Papua New Guinea
Cricket: England, plus literally anyone playing Australia. Even if Mordor had a Test team.
Motorsport: the Suzuki MotoGP team.
Football: Never had a team I support, but have always had a bit of a soft spot for Ipswich, for no real reason

1 Like

L.A. Dodgers - otherwise, sportsball isn’t really my thing…

1 Like

I’ve had quite a few bad memories thanks to the Red Wings. Ugh. lol

3 Likes

I see you, too, are a fan of PAIN. :wink:

(alleviated periodically by the Lynx)

3 Likes

MLB: Minnesota T___s (YOU HAVE TO EARN THE “WIN” BACK BY GETTING ABOVE .500), San Diego Padres
NFL: Minnesota PAIN, I mean Vikings
NBA: Minnesota PAIN, I mean Timberwolves
NHL: Minnesota PAIN, I mean Wild
WNBA: Minnesota Lynx (who have more championships in the last decade than the men have combined in their entire history)
Roller Derby: Oh hey, buckle up: Minnesota All-Stars, Minnesota Nice, North Star Supernovas, North Star Northern Lights, North Star Cosmos, Rose City Wheels of Justice, Gotham All-Stars, Texas Texecutioners, Rocky Mountain 5280 Fight Club, Rat City Roller Derby, Emerald City Roller Derby, Angel City Hollywood Scarlets… I have also played for Minnesota Debu-Taunts/Windchill (2014-present), Mankato Area MAD Girls (2017-18), the Electric Sliders (2017-present), and (foster skater for) the Iron Range Maidens & Twin Cities Roller Derby. I’ve also been a ref for Twin Cities and a guest ref for Med City Mafia, so… I might just do roller derby a bit. :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t forget those champion NWHL Minnesota Whitecaps.

2 Likes

I’m mostly an NHL fan so I can go on and on about hockey. But in my former life in television I’ve had to adapt since no one in the the US cares all that much about hockey so here’s the big four (with the caveat that I’ve either adopted, inherited, or married into the other teams outside the NHL)

NHL: Colorado Avalanche
NFL: Denver Broncos
NBA: Denver Nuggets
MLB: San Diego Padres

1 Like

Congrats to the Milwaukee Bucks, first championship in 50 years (condolences for Suns fans, who have yet to take one).

I was more an NFL fan (Packers!) but with other sports, I’d get interested in a player or a team (Tom Seaver and the miracle Mets), and that was the case with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, I just loved watching him play, he was so cool. Back then he was known as Lew Alcindor and was drafted by the Bucks - and I remember that first championship in '71. They should have had more… but decades later, with a new superstar, they are champions again.

NFL: Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers
NCAA football: Air Force Falcons, Georgia Bulldogs
MLB: Atlanta Braves, Saint Louis Cardinals

1 Like

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NL: SF Giants
AAA: Sacramento River Cats
CPBL: Rakuten Monkeys

There are no other sports.

1 Like

The only sport I really follow is football. In order of interest:
Cleveland Browns
Arizona State
Navy

1 Like

SF Giants (I see you lembach and kitsunny!). I modeled my swing after Will Clark’s.

1 Like