Favorite Version of the Love Theme?

Which version of the MST3K Love Theme gets you most excited to watch the show? I’d have to say my personal favorites are the Seasons 2-5.5 theme, the Season 7 theme, and the Season 10 theme. But what about all of you? Any big fans of the Man or Astroman version? Or the Dave Alvin one from the movie? Any impressive covers out there? What gets your ear holes excited for some cheesy movies?

4 Likes

Joel’s Love Theme is the most easiest and memorable to sing along.

8 Likes

it certainly helps given the repetition… Joel had two themes over 6 1/2 seasons, Mike had four over 4 1/2 seasons… just not enough time to get to really memorize any individual version.

The original postlude version. Pretty, somber, kind of a wind-down. It holds up.

7 Likes

Also I’m quite fond of the little “piano” version for the Mystery Science Theater Hour

6 Likes

You mean the closing theme? I’d consider that its own thing. It has its own name too. “Mighty Science Theater”. The orchestral version of that on the Netflix seasons is beautiful, but damn if I don’t miss that last strummy twang at the end that the previous seasons had.

9 Likes

Yes! I miss that twang at the end. We’ve taken to adding it ourselves.

7 Likes

I think it’s easier for me to pick my least favorite. That’s the season 7 one…and it’s just because of the spoken tag at the end “Did I mention my mother’s here?”. It really should have been incorporated into the theme proper if their initial intent was for her to stick around. Instead it interrupts the flow of the theme to add that and feels like an impermanent thing. Which ultimately it was as it existed only for those 7 episodes before they left CC and Trace left BBI.

2 Likes

I do the same!

Agreed… that part really demolishes that version of the theme.

2 Likes

I came across this mash up of all the pre-Netflix love themes (including the movie) during the kickstarter and I found it really quite enjoyable. It takes a good while to get warmed up, it breaks into a few old favourite songs at the start to get going, but once they start mashing all the main love themes together I think it actually works quite well, really harmonic in a few places, albeit a little repetitive (it’s long enough that it has it’s own credit sequence).

2 Likes
10 Likes

That’d be me. I believe Joel is pretty tight with the band, too.

6 Likes

Random thought: Always amuses me that Season 1 Cambot was just Repurposed KTMA GPC.

1 Like

I made this my husband’s text tone on my phone for a little MST3K in my day.

Also, a great band name.

5 Likes

I’m all about the Comedy Central Joel-era theme song because of how it starts, as odd as my reasoning may sound. I really like those warm synthesizer tones as opposed to the drum machine kickoff of the Mike-era themes.

Those synthesizer tones give the opening a warmer, gentler feel to it that seems more conducive to relaxation.

6 Likes

That concluding twang is everything.

6 Likes

Call me crazy but I really like the Har Mar Superstar version for seasons 11& 12.

4 Likes

The twang is crucial to Mighty Science Theater.

5 Likes

I also don’t personally mind the Pearl stinger toward the end of the Season 7 theme, but that’s probably just me. I also like the Season 10 theme, but I always wished they had used it in Season 9 as well cause by that time the “endless chase” subplot had ended and the Castle Forrester one was in full swing.

2 Likes