Favorite Version of the Love Theme?

I love Joel’s themes, they’re classic and I feel like most everyone knows all the words to those. But I also love Jonah’s theme from s11, it’s so energetic and I like how they tell Jonah’s story. Plus Felicia Day’s singing :laughing:

4 Likes

For the new year, we need a twang/no twang poll. Who’s gonna do it?

1 Like

Unpopular opinion but I agree with you.

Twang. all the way.

• Yes twang!
  • No twang!
  • WTH is twang?!

0 voters

2 Likes

I’d be interested to meet someone who votes “No Twang.” They’d be like the 10th dentist in the old “nine out of ten dentists” shtick.

“Nine out of 10 dentists recommend not chewing on gravel all day.” I really want to hear what that 10th dentist has to say.

5 Likes

Well … as far as impermanence goes, the staff went into Season 7 unconvinced that Comedy Central was going to give them an extension. Production of the movie kept the season short, and the relationship with CC had deteriorated to the point where they weren’t entirely surprised by the cancellation. So if the open feels like a temporary fill necessitated by Frank’s leaving, that’s exactly what it was. They really had no idea if they’d be coming back for another season … anywhere.

2 Likes

I kinda rather like it. It’s like it helps to give Season 7 its own distinctive flavor.

2 Likes

The newest one simply because aside from looking good, Kinga gets to go into musical number mode with it.

3 Likes

I don’t know if I can pick a favorite, but I like the Season 11-12 opening a lot. I love the sting when the door to Moon 13 opens, and I’ve always liked Felicia’s singing.
However, if they go to a more “homemade” version of the theme in the new season, I’ll have no problem with that.

5 Likes

It was very cool to hear the ending theme music played by an actual orchestra. I would love to know who composed that.

5 Likes

Here are the credits for the orchestral piece, according to the MST3K Fandom entry for the ending theme, “Mighty Science Theater”:

Seasons 11 - 13 arranged by Charlie Erickson, performed by F.A.M.E.'S - Macedonian Symphonic Orchestra, conducted by Oleg Kontratenko, orchestrated and produced by Thomas Scott and mixed by Alan Omerovic

Also, welcome to the forums! :smiley:

4 Likes

Agreed. Joel’s theme hands down!

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I love all the variations of the love theme (especially with Baron and Conor bringing it as Servo in their respective versions of the Gizmoplex era theme) …

… but the Comedy Central Joel theme is just warm nostalgia in music form. It’s the audio equivalent of a hot mug of cocoa with a scoop of marshmallows thrown in. Comforting, you know?

7 Likes

I’ve always had an affinity for the Sci-Fi Channel-era themes. They just look and sound great!

Plus, I love that era’s Robot Roll Call side-comments! (“I’m Different!”)

(But yes, I love all versions and have definitely watched the montages out there! :smiley:)

4 Likes

I often add that in other versions of the theme.

1 Like

Y’know, I love every version of the song they’ve done, and I really appreciate how they always manage to fit an explanation of the plot in there, but…

Every once in a while, I remember what it was like to be up too late on a Saturday night, not really sure what the deal was with this weird show that was coming on, and just how hard I laughed at “But his bosses didn’t like him, so they shot him into space”. So simple, so unexpected, so over the top.

That’s my favorite version of the theme song. But my favorite opening sequence is probably Season 11. The way the extended cold open in Reptilicus just segues naturally into the theme song, then we see Jonah shot up to the SOL and dumped into the theater, the Robot Roll Call sequence being done in Shadowrama, then pulling out through the doors to the bridge and looking out the window to see the MST3K logo carved into the dark side of the moon… there’s a whole kinetic energy and flow to it that works really well.

And I dunno, I also just really like the premise that Jonah gets forced to re-enact the whole thing with every episode, because Kinga would rather shoot Jonah up and down from the moon and shuffle him past the house band every time than use some decent recording equipment that doesn’t run on her proprietary liquid video format.

4 Likes

Mmhmm. It’s no mistake that that version of the theme song stands out as arguably the most triumphant.

When it hits the “for Mystery Science Theater 3000” ending lyric, you FEEL that.

3 Likes

Animatronic animals make for excellent new nightmare material.

1 Like

To answer the thread question though, Season 8/9 with Pearl driving the VW. Something about her blend of evil/cheeky/and oddly comforting qualities I think really hit the mark on the zaniness of the show’s premise.

6 Likes