Fewer merges

Mitchell!!!

4 Likes

I couldn’t find this gif. Your google-fu is stronger than mine today :+1:

2 Likes

I must have just held my mouth right. All I did was type in “Hot merging action” in an image search. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No, keep merging. And I’d say a note to folks who are obviously ignoring the hints that something very similar is already served up here.

As with others, the forum is becoming less and less attractive with all of the grasping at thread topics and inane posts of ‘hear me roar!’… no sense in trying to keep up any longer, and for myself I’m only occasionally tracking folks who used to be more active but have apparently got the same take on things now. Even with only infrequent visits I notice far too many repeated topics. A shame… but anyway, merging is absolutely necessary else this forum would be a waste of time to navigate.

3 Likes

BTW, despite the purported Merger-Mania, we have at least two good-sized threads about films we’d like to see riffed. At least two about our favorite RT episodes, and so on. So I trust that the mods aren’t just being impulsive about this, and that they are attending long and overly-detailed meetings every day about whether a merger is practical or whether it will cause all of reality’s fabric to bust at the seams, and so on.

I’ve already petitioned them not to merge the threads about weird/regrettable food, because while that would be funny, I’m afraid the seismic force required would kill us all.

5 Likes

In general I think the thread merging has been sensible, and it certainly is a good idea to prune (not that Prune) threads that are clear duplicates of others, but the example posted here by @TeriG was a bit of a head-scratcher for me too, and I feel a tiny bit unsettled by the seemingly arbitrary nature of it.

In the early days of the forum, when we were essentially self-policing, the consensus seemed to be to highlight and link to the original thread in the duplicate, and since the vast majority were errors made in good faith the duplicate would sink into internet oblivion in a quiet and dignified manner.

That obviously doesn’t help with bad faith thread creation, or posting for attention or plain excessive thread starting, and we have been blessedly free of that for the most part. The only instance I’ve noticed (prior to recent events) seemed to be resolved more by a number of members actively engaging with the person in question than by any application of authority, and a happy equilibrium was restored.

If the initiators of such threads elect not to engage in any discussion of forum etiquette or consideration of other users, then while it’s tricky to judge, I think that is a case where mod-intervention is more necessary.

Please forgive my rambling, I guess the tl;dr is maybe we could try communicating with each other a bit more, and not immediately jump on the Get-A-Mod-To-Merge™ button.

3 Likes

FWIW, when I plant a link to an earlier thread in a newer, duplicate one, it’s meant more as a gentle reminder to the new poster than an instant demand for a merger. I mean, I know what it’s like to be an excited newbie who makes newbie mistakes. So… trying not to be a dink.

3 Likes

Strongly disagree with the OP. I vote for more merges, and in fact, hope this thread gets merged :joy:

Maybe, but as I write this, of the 20 most recent posts, five were on threads of > 1k posts, and there’s at least one other in there that is just shy of 1k. roughly 1/2 of those that are left are bug reports or feature requests, which naturally do not spawn long discussions. This distribution is not unusual. In short, regardless of the frequency of large threads, that is where the conversation is.

How would you even know if someone has said what you think when there are 1000 posts? A key word is easy to search for, an idea is not.

Keywords lead to ideas. It’s funny that everywhere else, I have a terrible time with searches. Here, it’s very easy for me.

Wait wait, I thought that you were affirming my genius. Jeez that’s embarrassing. Maybe I should start over.

1 Like

Fewer merges!

More Serges!

1 Like
1 Like

Clearly this is a product of your aforementioned genius… :rofl:

We’re a genius gestalt. Or something. :partying_face:

And Sergeis!

1 Like

1 Like

Serge?

3 Likes