Flashtoons & TBH... TBD?

Will there be any of Jim and Paul’s MST3K cartoons or any Timmy Big Hands content included on the boxed sets?

5 Likes

I could live without the cartoons, but I would love to see the Timmy Big Hands content again.

2 Likes

has war-style flashbacks about the flash cartoons

12 Likes

I laughed way, way too much and too hard at @SuperCutie’s comment. Probably the funniest thing I read here. The flash cartoons had to exist so that this comment could exist.

I wish I could give this 50 likes.

6 Likes

I remember watching the one where Tom and Crow go fishing. Part of me died watching that.

2 Likes

“MARINES! We are LEAVING!”

4 Likes
2 Likes

How am I only now learning about this? There were flash cartons?

1 Like

Unfortunately.

3 Likes

Trust me, you missed nothing.

2 Likes

communitylifegotdark

3 Likes

Wow. They must have actually caused physical illness to make this community react so negatively.

It’s funny, I loved MST3k back when it was on and after it was canceled I curated my own collection of episodes through to present day. But I somehow completely missed out on the fan community until the Kickstarter. So I didn’t know about stuff like this.

It’s interesting unearthing these things. Do the cartoons still exist in any form? Flash content in general seems to be largely falling out of the historical record.

1 Like

There are four MST3K cartoons on YouTube.

MST3K: Solitaire.

MST3K: Thanksgiving Clown.

MST3K: Feels Like.

And MST3K: Reel Livin’.

Four.

You can expect no more of these.

4 Likes

They’re really unfunny. They were a cheap cash grab by Jim Mallon after the show ended and they basically have nothing to do with MST3K other than having two characters that are named and look like Tom and Crow. The only Best Brains writer to even contribute was Paul Chaplin and I doubt he contributed much.

3 Likes

I wanted more of them.

A cartoon series featuring the zany misadventures of our favourite bots has some potential. Sadly those flash toons completely failed to realise any of it.

4 Likes

Watching them now, I get it. A couple of them seemed to be potentially setting something up and then just did exactly what the viewer expected instead of something surprising. In 2 of the 4, the punchline was “bot falls down.” Also in 2 of the 4, the setup is “bot talks too long about something tedious.” They also suffered from poor timing, and that is especially painful for comedy.

line. pause. animation. pause. line. It feels like something they should be riffing on.

But all that is really common in new animation (and especially true in flash animation), and if they had kept at it, they likely would have gotten a lot better.

3 Likes

Much like @ben, I didn’t know of these until after they became infamous. I looked one up on the internet super-highway some time ago. I looked up no others… I actually forgot what it was about. Blocked it out.

Watching them for the first time way after they were first released, I can kinda see why some MSTies would be so down on them. It was about six or seven years since the show went off the air, and the first Kickstarter wasn’t even a glimmer in Joel’s eye at this point - this was basically the revival that noone wanted.

4 Likes

Yeah, Jim really sat on the property for a very long time. I mean, Joel and Mike both went on to keep movie riffing alive with Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax while Mallon just did nothing. Don’t want to turn this into a Mallon dunk fest or anything but those flash cartoons lacked any real ambition. Glad Joel got the right back

3 Likes