Food and Drink in Entertainment

Ever watch TV or a Movie and what they’re having grabs your attention? Food? Drink? Both? What is it? Did you try it because you saw it? Oysters, a mixed drink, something exotic, or from another time? What grabbed you and had you from Hello?

4 Likes

I am not going to talk about the Romulan Ale that made the bottle explode or the Pan-Galactic Gargleblaster drinking contest.

And the Food Network is the go-to background noise (when soccer’s not on) at my home. I’m always seeing something I’d love to try. My fave example is the goat brain curry Tony Bourdain tried once on his first show. I’d totally give it a go!

7 Likes

Does this count?

2 Likes

The first things that come to mind…

5 Likes

I’m embarrassed to admit this… Screening The Creeping Terror (1964) not that long ago, I heard a mention that made me rewind. I hadn’t caught it before. Once our hero returns home and surprises his wife, she discovers they have a guest. She nudges him to offer a drink and he asks his friend what he’ll have and the pal replies “Bourbon and 7.” She goes to the fridge and pulls out a bottle of 7 Up and I had to pause to look at it. I’d never heard of that. Leave it to MST to open my horizons.

7 Likes

How about a 7 & 7? Same thing but made with Seagrams. I don’t blame him asking for bourbon. It’s a huge improvement :smile:

5 Likes

One of my favorite things when it comes to watching bad movies, is spotting all the weird crap hanging out in the background.

This one isn’t strictly food related, but I did notice it while they were in the kitchen.

Anyone got any idea WTF that thing is supposed to be? Creamer jug? Sugar bowl? A soul-sucking little demon head from Hell? I stll can’t tell.

4 Likes

The show: Star Trek. The episode: The Corbomite Maneuver. The drink: Tranya. I remember watching it as a kid and thinking it looked good, like it was maybe Kool Aid or Tang or something.

7 Likes

Funny you say that. I asked a friend whether he knew of this. He mistook the 7 to be Seagrams not 7 Up. Bourbon and Seagrams? He said it was possible. Then I showed him the scene and he understood. He went on how they abbreviated names back then which confused him. He figured the 7 referred to Seagrams not 7 Up. “Different strokes for different folks…”

4 Likes

Tranya? As an 11-year old, I really wished it existed. Clint Howard really sold it. I wondered what was in it. Fruit juice? Apricots? Pears? Kool-Aid or Tang never crossed my mind.

8 Likes

Italian on mom’s side. Enough said.

12 Likes

Another Scorsese Food Scene. Blueberry Muffins were a thing after this. “An equal amount of Blueberries in each muffin…”

5 Likes

It looks like the Necronomicon’s hillbilly cousin :laughing:

5 Likes

Always pops up in my head whenever I see blueberry coffee dispensers at 7 11.

That is some nice looking food there.

3 Likes
5 Likes

@FlyingSquid Perfect for a bit of Ultra-Violence.

2 Likes

Right!? That’s what I thought when I saw it! Except this film came out a year before Evil Dead, so that can’t be it.

Maybe Raimi had one of those monstrosities sitting in his kitchen too, and starring at it over his frootloops every morning traumatized him so much that that’s where he got his creepy inspiration from.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Hello, I’m Peter Graves. Watch me, Peter Graves, in the movie Airplane! where I, Peter Graves, play Captain Over. This is Peter Graves.

7 Likes

Nathan’s eat your heart out! The assembly line and the little flourishes as Luke keeps chewing while everyone is watching. The tension and the countdown are perfect. I kept watching that movie just to see that scene. It even had me rethink hating hardboiled eggs.

4 Likes