Food of the Future

Because of course, they did. Lickable TV’s what could go wrong.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Sounds less like lickable TV and more like chocolate-flavored plastic.

1 Like

3 Likes

Those Original Series food replicators. Why is it that almost every meal looks like Pineapple? Is Pineapple the Chicken of the future?

2 Likes

Refried beans in four different colors!

BBQ (crummy) critters!

1 Like

Garlic Bread. It’s the future, I’ve tasted it.

1 Like

It’s not going to be bugs. Outside of cultures where that’s already a staple, it will never be bugs.

I am genuinely hoping lab-grown meat though.

3 Likes

It will be entirely cracker based.

Meat crackers. Vegetable crackers. Regular crackers. Cracker sandwiches made of crackers. Hot dog sandwiches and hamburger sandwiches made of crackers. Cracker stews. Liquid crackers.

I am looking forward to it very much. Dr. Ted Nelson’s clone will host a very popular cooking show.

2 Likes

It LOOKS like Pineapple, but it’s actually these guys’ innards…

But seriously, we all know we’re gonna go onto pills only for meals like how Mars did by the 1960s (unless Droppo-Claus changed all that).

1 Like

Cohaagen did.

Pepsi is plentiful there!

Plenty of booze on Mars.

1 Like

Those parts of Mars are just the Earth embassy of Mars.

1 Like

Pills only over the rest of the planet? What’s with this guy and the potatoes?

I wonder … I’ve pondered this a bit. I don’t know a lot about it, but I think I read that flour can be made from ground up crickets. Probably not wholly from that, but significantly. If bugs could be used to replace ingredients that are used to create other food, I think I’d be on board with that. (But eating whole bugs? I don’t see that happening in Western culture anytime soon.)

I’m sure there’s important math involved – not much point in it if it ends up taking more resources to raise and process crickets than it does to grow wheat. But if the math checks out, maybe it’ll be like synthetic meat, where it takes time to get a foothold then gradually gets popular?

2 Likes

As it stands now, I think you’re right, western cultures would never totally get behind insect-based protein. In the present it’s still really only widely accepted/available in pretty much every part of the world except Europe/North America :sweat_smile: But @McCloud is right in that there are ingredients like flour that can be made from insects, or protein powders etc, which some Western companies have put work into developing because they know it’s more, ah, palatable to people from those parts of the world when it’s not recognizable as an insect :joy: But that kind of stuff is still considered West Coast-y and weird upper class food, to the general US at least.

Now this I could support 100% as that is most of what I eat anyways. Hahaha

2 Likes

Unprocessed soylent green is Eloi chops.

If they can perfect it, we’d have a solution to the landfill problem.

Not until we make it to Klendathu.

Like, how do you clean out the digested remains from such a tiny tract.

2 Likes

Not much diving into the Star Trek Next Gen replicators or Synthehol on here. That seamed to be a menace on Next Generation. Even Guinan and Picard stored actual alcohol on ship.