Encylopedia Brown - Amazing Race Car - 1990 - YouTube text`
square one
Square One TV Intro - HQ - YouTube

7 Likes

Assuming this isn’t meant to be only children’s shows:

4 Likes
6 Likes

Oh, where to begin… I know!

No, GPC, that’s Richard Benjamin, not Richard Basehart.

10 Likes

nope, can be anything :). I just remember more old kids shows.

for instance, there where a couple of video game shows where kids would run around a maze and pick up free games. I think one even had velcro gloves. be damned if I can remember the name.

2 Likes

I thought I was the only one that remembered Quark!

4 Likes

It was a toss up of Gerry Anderson between UFO (set in the far future of 1980!) or this gem:

6 Likes

I remember reading a newspaper review on how terrible Costello was. And I had to think, “It can’t be THAT bad, right?”

It was that bad. There’s a reason why it’s all but forgotten.

5 Likes

In addition to this one, I definitely remember at least half of the other shows in this thread. I felt the same way when I put on a 90s Alternative playlist and realized how many lyrics I have memorized: With all these wasted brain cells, how do I not fall down more?

5 Likes

A Welcome Back, Kotter spinoff that was canceled after only five episodes were aired. Somewhere, hopefully buried for all time, there are four more that weren’t…

4 Likes

Growing up in the 90’s I used to watch an Australian sci-fi series on the Disney Channel called “Spellbinders” about a teenager named Paul who falls through a wormhole into a parallel world trapped in a second dark-age due to nuclear war. The peasants are ruled by an order known as the Spellbinders who are believed to be powerful sorcerers because of their flying machines and ability to throw lightning from their hands. Together with a girl named Riana, Paul fights against the corrupt Spellbinders, particularly a notable one named Ashka who learns Paul is from another world and wants to steal Earth’s technological secrets to increase her own political power. The Spellbinder’s technology isn’t magic but from the forgotten age before the fall of society, but neither the peasants or the Spellbinders themselves remember how to repair and create more of their “magic” technology. The first season had Paul exploring the Spellbinder world before eventually finding a way back home, bringing Riana and Ashka with him. The Second season dealt with another parallel dimension, Asian influenced in design, with Ashka and her toady, Gryvon being the only characters from the first season to return.

4 Likes

So… Bionic Six ’s also an anime. It counts, right?

4 Likes

To be fair, UFO did lead to Space: 1999. Bit of a winding history, that.

3 Likes

This is another show I stumbled across when it was first broadcast. I highly recommend it for its sheer goofiness. It even has a whole episode with a Luchadore gang! I wonder if Santos knows about them?

7 Likes

Don’t forget the Comic Con table read of the lost thirteenth episode, “The Doomsday Armageddon Apocalypse!” I still miss that show to this day.

6 Likes

You seem to be implying that Space: 1999 was an improvement.

4 Likes

Space: 1999 definitely had the better Dinky Toys of the two. :crazy_face:

5 Likes

It is? It does? I have less than no idea, I’m anime-illiterate and caught the show on network TV when I was a kid. :joy:

2 Likes

My World and Welcome To It

And while I’m thinking about it, my favorite cartoon when I was 5:

5 Likes

Bernard Hughes (Lost Boys - yeah you all know him from other stuff but I love that roll) Plays Mr Merlin. A wizard with a portal in his wall leading to a stairway though space up to a secret workshop. That captivated the hell out of my imagination at 5. Im not sure I even saw a full episode.

I think it might be rarer than The Powers of Matthew Star!

3 Likes