Forum training seminar

Loadsa new folks are requesting forum features that the forum already features. Is @discobot laying down on the job?

8 Likes

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

3 Likes

And many seeming to ignore ā€˜your post is similar toā€™ notifications.

7 Likes

ā€œItā€™s similar to but still this oneā€™s all about ME!ā€

ā€”Me, ignoring those messages, probably.

5 Likes

Iā€™d write a Forum 101, but unless it was pinned, it would just be buried under the avalanche of ATTENTION: Iā€™VE HAD A THOUGHT posts. Sigh.

4 Likes

Plus reading? Pfft who has time for that!

5 Likes

@discobot is friend to all forum members!

:+1:

4 Likes

In fairness, the one topic I have created all by myself provided me with a list of ā€˜your post is similar toā€™ threads that were completely unrelated :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, thatā€™s the best! (I think that tool needs some ah, refinement, to be polite)
However, it does get ignored- too many are coming in in haste or not even thinking that they are not the first with certain questions; looking as if havenā€™t paid any attention to, or care to, updates, threads, emails, notices, and the other dozen times the question has been asked/answered. Ainā€™t got time to read, got time to type and complain. (Not a 100% for sure, but thereā€™s a tipping point) Some may say ā€˜business as usualā€™ on the internet. I say, be better.

3 Likes

This is not an easy thing to do for a freeform forum like this. It works better in technical domains where the prevalence of certain terms in the body as well as topic header is a strong indicator, and where messages are tightly focused.

I would expect most things to be ā€œsimilarā€ to the Secret Lounge thread for example because over 2000 entries of random nonsense are gonna match something.

1 Like