Found footage: Stanley Kubrick Explains the Endings of ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ and 'The Shining.'

They basically jibe with my interpretations of the films, but I would love to hear what you think.

2 Likes

That means that the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey was just a cheap way to sell action figures for 2010: The Year We Make Contact.

3 Likes

I’ve never liked 2001 despite it being so important culturally as well as within the world of filmmaking.

After another viewing and failed attempt to enjoy it, I read the book. And the whole time I was like “oh, THAT’S why that happened” and “this makes so much more sense” so I was really looking forward to learning what the very end was about. And in the book it’s pretty much “LOL space baby” so I need to applaud it for being the best long term troll effort.

I think that Arthur C. Clarke originally had a well written, sensible ending, and when he finished the manuscript Kubrick offered to deliver it to the publisher for him, and swapped out the last couple of pages for his drivel before turning it in.

4 Likes

Well I can’t agree with you on the film, I think it’s brilliant, but it is definitely a film intended to be interpreted by the viewer, not spelled out on screen.

2 Likes

Dem’s fightin’ sensible discussin’ words!

4 Likes

I’ll say this: I hated 2001: A Space Odyssey when I first watched it as a teen sometime in the late 90s.

When I revisited it years later (in the interests of giving it a second chance), I loved it. The movie became one of my favorites.

Heh, go figure!

3 Likes

It’s one of my favorites. I’ve watched it so many times. It’s actually the first film I remember ever seeing. When I was a toddler, my parents showed it to a bunch of graduate students by getting a 16 mm print (with a cinemascope lens to screw onto the projector) and projecting it across the wall of our living room.

I even have a framed original poster from it on my wall. This one:

Also, my mother wrote a book about it back when it came out. So I’m a little biased.

I don’t think it’s Kubrick’s best film (that honor, to me, goes to Barry Lyndon) but I really love it.

5 Likes

By the way, my mother’s book is out of print, but if you have $2000 to spare, it’s entirely reprinted in this volume.

3 Likes

Maddest respects!

I’m a Spartacus guy, myself, but yeah, 2001 owns.

3 Likes

The only Kubrick films I really like are Spartacus and Dr. Strangelove though the latter I think could lose about five to ten minutes to tighten it up and the former I’m bothered by Kirk Douglas being cast because everyone is all “we’re looking for Spartacus, where is he in this sea of people” and not a single person (except for me, yelling at the screen) says “it’s the chin guy, the one who is very distinct and memorable!”

4 Likes

Really? You didn’t even like The Shining?

3 Likes

Hah! Fair enough, aye. :smiley:

I’m also keen on The Shining and The Killing (great film noir that represents a little something different from most Kubrick-ian fare), and would be willing to say that Eyes Wide Shut didn’t deserve the drubbing it received once upon a time.

3 Likes

Personally, I think Paths of Glory is his most underrated film. Not my favorite, but a very good film.

3 Likes

It’s fine, but I don’t really like it. I have to be in the mood to watch it, whereas the other two I’ll watch at the drop of a hat.

3 Likes

I just popped into this thread because it was new. And now I’m embarrassed because out of all the films mentioned upthread, I’ve seen one. (What can I say, I like bad movies? :woman_shrugging:t3:)

But it’s been an interesting read.

4 Likes

Which one and what did you think of it?

3 Likes

I’ve seen Dr. Strangelove twice. I liked it enough to rewatch it.

4 Likes

If it helps, I’ve seen even fewer than you have?

4 Likes

Um, bury the lede much? Any way to get a copy of her book?

I’m kicking myself for not buying that Taschen special edition when it came out.

And not to be a jerk about it, but his explanation of the end of 2001… I thought everybody knew that?

4 Likes

It’s apparently available on Amazon. News to me.

2 Likes