From Pong to whatever is happening with Super Mario and his buddies these days: this is your all-purpose videogames thread!

Nope. And wow were their appliance service death throes ugly, they started contracting everything to Dolt Bros.

5 Likes

Sears was nosedived into the ground by a CEO who thought his political philosophy could be translated to how a business should be run. He was wrong.

3 Likes

My first console was the Atari 2600, but we had family friends before that who had a Pong game, and later a Magnavox Odyssey. Pong was not all that thrilling, but i remember being fascinated by the Odyssey. I don’t remember any of the games I played on it, though.

When I was in High School, my girlfriend had an NES with Super Mario Brothers, and Duck Hunt. I played a lot of Mario on that. I joined the Air Force not long after, and my roommate and I went in on an NES for our dorm room. We had Zelda, Metroid, and Castlevania among other titles. We also got copies of the Nintendo magazine for level walkthroughs and all the skinny on upcoming games. We were in NES heaven, and always had 3 or 4 guys hanging out in our room playing games.

6 Likes

Ah, Nintendo Power. I somehow conned my parents into getting me a subscription to that. The game guides were usually worth it.

6 Likes

Yes, they carried at the Base Exchange magazine section. We got the new one every month as soon as it hit the shelf.

5 Likes

I think I had precisely two issues: the one with the game guide for Metroid II: The Return of Samus and the one with the game guide for Mega Man: Dr. Wiley’s Revenge, because those were two of the five games I had for the GameBoy. (So amend my previous comment; my 8bit world also later included the GameBoy with a very limited selection of games.)

5 Likes

I was always late to the game in getting systems. I wanted a NES but my parents got me Sega Master System. I feel like I game I played the most was Snail Maze and a game with Penguins. By the time I got the NES the SNES was out but it didn’t matter. So many more gaming options and Mario was just endlessly playable. But I did get Tiny Toons and Trog (I was really into the arcade version).

4 Likes

I still have one, and you better damn well believe I still enjoy it! Well, as long as it can still function, anyways. Because of the way the pins are configured now, I can only play games on it if I slap the Game Genie on them.

But I love love love that jazz. Before the NES, I gamed on the Atari 7800 and the Texas Instruments TI-99/4A. The NES, though? That may be my favorite… although the Super NES could possibly eclipse that. But perhaps that’s a discussion for another time.

My favorite NES game, and possibly my all-time favorite game? Mega Man 2. Along the spectrum of video games, even if we look solely at the NES, it’s not particularly sophisticated, complicated, or innovative… but it’s purely satisfying. There’s a reason why it keeps me coming back again and again.

7 Likes

Was that not the best?

I lament that I don’t have my old issues of that anymore, but I remember ESPECIALLY loving the special Ninja Gaiden II strategy guide with the comic that covered (most of) the game’s cinema scenes.

But a new Nintendo Power was always a joy to read, aye.

5 Likes

SO WORTH IT for that sweet MIDI rendition of Cyndi Lauper’s “The Goonies ‘R’ Good Enough” alone.

4 Likes

Getting flashed by a mermaid at the end was weird though. :rofl:

6 Likes

Also, you had to respect a game that had you getting sassed by ANNE RAMSEY AS MAMA FRATELLI :smiley:

gooniesIImamafratelli

5 Likes

We’d play Super Mario Bros. after school, but my first console was the Atari…my best friend had the Intellivision, which had Sea Battle, and some other good games.

My biggest collection was for the Commodore 64 though, we figured out how to pirate games and had almost 1000 titles in our floppy disk collections…real floppy’s, not those little plastic cards!

5 Likes

I remember a WWF wrestling game for that that seemed waaaaaaaaay ahead of its time. In a sense.

As WWF games on the NES went, the first WrestleMania game was… okay. But WWF Wrestlemania Challenge? [Italian chef kiss dot GIF]

2 Likes

Yeah, there were some great games, wrestling, karate champ, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Friday the 13th, the Summer Games series; Mail Order Monsters (my fave), Racing Destruction Set, Beach Head I and II, Bard’s Tale, Hitchhiker’s Guide, Archon…the list was endless…

3 Likes

Which brings me to how metal (read: dark) the Friday the 13th game was for the NES, especially since Nintendo had very strict parameters for what could and what could not fly in a game in those days.

4 Likes

The scream would always get me…

2 Likes

My friend only had Pro Wrestling but I liked playing the monster guy that chewed on other people’s heads.

4 Likes

We rented that one so many times! It’s weird thinking back on the rental era now and how we repeatedly rented the same games and movies over and over again.

5 Likes

You know, thinking back on it, I’ve never been into sports (or pro wrestling if that doesn’t count as a sport), but I really enjoyed NES sports games. Ice Hockey and Double Dribble were both so much fun.

We would play Ice Hockey with only the fat guy on our teams. Then get into fights as often as possible.

4 Likes