Full-screen doesn't work right on Safari

Going full-screen while in Safari browser on a Mac (macOS 12.2.1, most current) does not work properly. It instead stays in the browser and moves up to the upper-left corner, and gets to full-screen size (so you just see the lower right corner), but does not get to full screen. Works OK on Firefox. You can hit ESC to get back to “zoomed” and otherwise video plays OK.

2 Likes

Same experience (With Safari) I tried Episode 001, Zombie Nightmare, and Santo just to be sure. Same quarter full screen experience with all three. Still very exciting to be in the virtual theater!

1 Like

Ditto - full screen mode on MacBook with Safari in mispositioned. (will try to attached screen capture).

If I try via Firefox or Google Chrome on the same MacBook, full screen works fine.

1 Like

I just gave up on Safari. I prefer it. But using Firefox has made the experience MUCH smoother.

1 Like

Just got my Gizmoplex beta tester notice today, and tried to try it out on my IPad. Not sure if it’s the traffic, or a safari issue, but it’s not going good so far. The menu choices that appear on the left after you hit cambot appear to be scrambled. I can get to the screening room and see the six vault picks, but when you hit play, the opening animation plays and then the screen goes black.

I tried it then on my laptop and the theater worked fine, but made it clear that the safari version is missing most of the theater choices.

Checked my Roku MST3K app, no changes to it so far, doesn’t seem linked to the beta test theater.

1 Like

I did find that in Safari, if you exit out of the movie while in full screen mode and then go back into the movie, the full screen seems to work just fine then. It seems to only be a problem when you are transitioning to full screen in Safari.

1 Like

hmmm, I tried what you suggested, but when I exited the movie (from skewed full screen mode), it goes to the My Videos shelves in full screen, and when I re-select the same movie, it brings up theater view (with seats & curtain) in full screen.
From there, if I click on the full screen button in the lower right from there, it does nothing. :frowning:

2 Likes

Yeah, same here. I tried a couple of movies, back and forth from full screen, restarting a couple of times, logging out and in again. No change.

1 Like

The apps, unfortunately, won’t be able to get the virtual theater experience. At the moment, we’re focused on bringing it to Google Chrome for computers. After that, we’ll explore if it makes sense to invest the time in making it work better on phones, tablets and other browsers besides Chrome.

4 Likes

Okay, I tried Chrome on the iPad and full screen works properly.

2 Likes

Boy those escalators look dangerous.

1 Like

I tried using the iPad Google chrome app, and the Gizmoplex theater performed pretty much like it did in Safari. Same wonky menus, same opening animation working but the 6 picks crashing instead of playing. My chrome book laptop, however works flawlessly. So I’m guessing it’s an iPad issue, but freely admit I’m a bit of a Luddite.

Just including this for FYI, my Gizmoplex tickets and picks work fine on the Roku app on my TCL tv, which is always going to be my preferred method of watching them. While it’d be great if it worked on my iPad, I completely understand this is a big undertaking.

2 Likes

To be honest, if I can’t use it on my TV, in the Apple TV app, I’m probably not going to use it other than helping with this beta test. I like to watch television on my TV. So please keep maintaining the apps - even if they don’t get the full treatment.

1 Like

All anyone really needs is a list of episodes they can watch. People will probably be happy with that. Even if they have to go to the website to add them to the list. Don’t even have to load in episode pictures or fun description pages. Just a plain old text list with episode titles and a play button.

1 Like

I hope making it work on the various TV apps like Roku will be a priority down the line when the various bugs are worked out. Cool as using the Gizmoplex on my laptop is, it’d be a lot cooler on my big screen TV!

1 Like

Do you have an Apple TV device, or Apple’s “tv+” app on another device? (Which is how they distribute their original programs.)

If you have an AppleTV box, you can stream the full theater to your television using AirPlay from your computer or iOS device.

1 Like

FYI all browsers on an iPad will behave the same as Safari. On iPhone and iPad, Apple only allows web browsers to use Safari’s underlying rendering engine, so there’s really no way around any issues the site has with Safari when using an iPad.

3 Likes

TLDR: the Virtual Theater is not yet designed to officially support Safari.

More details on this question here:

2 Likes

We connected my laptop to our receiver via HDMI for the big screen experience!

2 Likes

Yeah, but I don’t want to fiddle. I know I can Airplay to the TV, but I want to turn on the TV and use it, not grab my phone/iPad/computer and cast it to the TV.

I’m fine with the plain Jane experience of apps as long as they don’t get forgotten and stop working. While the full theater experience would be nice, it’s not worth having to futz with multiple devices. I have a nice big-screen with a nice sound system, and I just want to use that. As long as all the content is available via the TV app I’m good. The rest of the stuff is nice, but it’s not the main reason I’m here.

Now, if you start putting things in the Gizmoplex that can only be accessed via the web interface, I’m going to be unhappy.

I will also say that the choice of Chrome - from a company whose business model is to sell every bit of knowledge they can scrape from you - isn’t exactly a compelling reason to use the Gizmoplex either.

1 Like