FUNNIES! (Comic strips)

Besides MST3K (of course) - I also have a big love of comic strips - I read a bunch online daily, in order to get my day off to a happy start. I thought it would be fun to start a thread for others who enjoy their daily dose, and post our favorites here. Here’s a Thanksgiving one I found today:

6 Likes

4 Likes

edited… but…
Ci18OS2WgAAQ_QI

10 Likes

surprised oh my GIF

1 Like

Besides the obvious ones – xkcd and The Oatmeal – my other favorite web comic is Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal:

here’s a sample!

7 Likes

I love reading the Comics Curmudgeon. He pretty much MSTies a selection of funnies and has done so for years. I think he even did a Rifftrax IIRC.

http://joshreads.com

5 Likes

Me too. Here’s one of my current favorites: Reality Check. All time favorite: classic Pogo.

5 Likes

The only other pop cultural thing I love as much as MST3K is the entire run of Peanuts by Charles Schulz. I’ve been a fan for as long as I can remember, ever since I was an 80s child.

I also think the world of The Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes, and Bloom County.

9 Likes

My two favorite cartoonists: Stephan Pastis with Pearls Before Swine-

And the late B. Kliban

11 Likes

I was a regular in the comment section of the Comics Curmudgeon from a little ways after it became a bigger deal until years later when it took up too much time to continue, since then only occasionally visiting. Pretty much everyone in the comments is an MST3K fan.

A couple of interesting non-crossovers: I can never watch the Invention Exchange from the Manos episode without thinking of the CC.

And somewhat relatedly, the comic strip Mary Worth had a bizarre storyline involving a Capt. Kangaroo doppelganger (!) that was stalking Mary (!!). That story of Aldo Kelrast (anagram of “stalker”… no kidding!) was so bizarre, we all had a field day snarking (riffing) that one. I have always referred to it as “the Manos of the Comics Curmudgeon”. I think the entire storyline might still be collected online, plus in a MW book collection.

5 Likes

Jim Unger’s Herman is one of my favorites:

6 Likes

Another Far Side vote.

12 Likes

This comic popped up today - it seems to have particular relevance to our group. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Can we talk about vintage comic strips? I love Krazy Kat and Little Nemo in Slumberland. Especially the Befuddle Hall era.

5 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever read either of those two strips - so post away!

Humor can get dated pretty quickly - especially topical humor, with its references to ‘current’ events - which is why I have trouble with old strips such as Pogo, which you almost need to be annotated in order to appreciate; ‘timeless’ humor tends to stick to common themes such as interpersonal relationships. Even MST3K can reference obscure topics often, which is why Shout! Factory did some ‘annotated’ releases not too long ago, to explain some of the jokes!

3 Likes

Unfortunately, little of Krazy Kat is available online. I have a bunch of collections though.

Here’s a Little Nemo comic.

And another

Rube Goldberg is fun too.

4 Likes

I have no idea how Nancy has been having this recent transcendent run that it’s had, but it’s so good.

AMAZING stuff. The NES game got me into those comics, and I never looked back.

4 Likes

Have you seen Windsor McKay’s previous comic, Dreams of a Rarebit Fiend? I actually like it more than Nemo.

4 Likes

I haven’t, but I love what that posted strip is doing. It feels very experimental for its time.

Thanks for passing that along!

3 Likes

Bloom County is everything

11 Likes