FUNNIES! (Comic strips)

Love it to pieces.

What gets me about Bloom County is how addictive it is. Like, I could pull up a copy of Bloom County Babylon, read a few strips, and then want to read the whole damn book.

7 Likes

Berkeley Breathed put out a bunch of new Bloom County comics on Facebook during the Trump era which were also great and then did a series about reuniting Calvin with Hobbes that Watterson approved!

11 Likes

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Watterson approved?! Wow! Given how reclusive he is (and reluctant to do the whole commercial licensing thing), that seems like a major get!

7 Likes

I’m a believer that ‘Pogo’ is the best comic ever, but even I have to admit it’s heyday was definitely the 1950s. After that Walt Kelly just started to run out of ideas – you do something every day for years on end and that will happen. But in the '50s the strip is full of funny situations and astounding word play that can still be appreciated.

6 Likes

I love Pogo too! Did you ever see the 1980s clay animated film I Go Pogo aka Pogo for President? It does the comic as much justice as a movie could give it. I don’t think it ever had any sort of major DVD or Blu-Ray release. I taped it off of one of the movie channels back then.

5 Likes

Is that actual ‘Nancy’? It’s just as terrible as it always was!

1 Like

George Harriman and Winsor McKay were both genius artists. McKay was so precise and beautiful and FAST! I posted somewhere else a link to his animated cartoon of the sinking of the Lusitania - it’s astounding. And Herriman’s ongoing theme of unrequited love is literature.

4 Likes

Looks like there’s a low quality copy of I Go Pogo on YouTube.

5 Likes

This forum is really confusing but I think you are replying to me. I have seen that movie and was impressed by the animation and writing (a little surprised at PT Bridgeport though). A lot of legendary voice actors in it too. My copy I got off of eBay – I’m quite sure it is a pirated DVD.

4 Likes

pearls before swine is one of my favorite.

4 Likes

Any other Life in Hell fans? There’s so much of this stuff still bouncing around in my brain from when Groening was just some dude with a cartoon in the back of the alt weekly.

“At night, the ice weasels come.”

6 Likes

Pastis has done some amazing COVID comics.

4 Likes

I have that on my bookshelf. And yes, I love Life in Hell.

7 Likes

“Who’s the smart-ass who put ‘The Family Circus’ in this forum?”

“Not me.”

7 Likes

They’d actually done a couple of crossovers before this, but this definitely was the longest.

We even got a glimpse of Calvin as an adult, and he is totally awesome!

5 Likes

My favorite Matt Groening characters – and personal role models back in the '89’s – were Akbar and Jeff!

Here’s an example of why I miss those fezzy li’l fellas so much –

8 Likes

I do love Mutts, both the comic strip and the four-legged variety.

I like the way he often pays tribute to the comics which have preceded his:

5 Likes

Ida Know!

4 Likes

Because… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One of my favorite comic strips is Marvin by Tom Armstrong. Launched on August 1, 1982, it is about a baby named Marvin Miller and his parents, Jeff and Jenny. Marvin still runs today and I actually have a handful of original art, one of which was bought from Mr. Armstrong!!!

This one is hanging on my wall! On another note, I have no clue how a baby without teeth can chew bubble gum or even blow bubbles.

5 Likes