Future Live Event Feature Suggestions

Yeah, I get that, but the last time I tried participating in the chat (for Manos), it was still way too many people at once. If there could be enough subchats to keep it to maybe 20 people in each, I would happily participate in that — otherwise I’m more likely to resort to group texts with my friends, which is exactly the sort of “sneaking off with friends” that they’re trying to discourage.

1 Like

So the question they asked at the livestream was, are these live shows valuable, and how can they feel more like special events.

I already really like the livestreams. I’m already starting to build up that ritual of showing up for every stream, turning down my lights (where applicable), and just having myself an uninterrupted movie night.

I like the little out-of-character segments at the bookends and during the intermission. It really reminds me of the rhythm of the Watch Out For Snakes tour, just this gentle intro and outro, with a little break in the middle for a palate cleanser.

Every stream has had something interesting at the end. The tour of the virtual theater was cool, getting to hear from Jackey Neyman was very cool, and listening to a little frank discussion of where the Gizmoplex is at and what the hopes are going forward was thought-provoking at the very least.

It’s one thing to ask us what we’d like to see next, but so far I think the thing I’ve liked best is that everything has been kind of a surprise. Didn’t expect to see a skit about a nacho recipe or an invention during Santo. Didn’t expect to see all new host segments with Jonah during Manos. I don’t think I want this to be a demand to see surprises every time so much as an invitation to try out whatever seems like it’d be an interesting match for whatever event you’re doing. Joel mentioned that trying out new things like the flatmation bumpers keeps their coats shiny, so yeah, go for it.

If there’s one sort of theme that I’ve enjoyed so far about the live shows has been this idea of offering something to make or share. Recipes for DIY concessions – very cool. A printable logo for a Torgo’s Pizza box – quite inspired.

What else could be offered? How about MST3K Bingo Cards – play along as you watch and see how many cheesy movie tropes you can catch. Maybe a tongue-in-cheek costume tutorial – how to capture the look of a character from the movie using things you find around the house. Or, given the new flatmation look of the show, how about a printable papercraft kit? Who wouldn’t want to cut out and glue together a model of the moon base, or paper dolls of their favorite characters?

There’s two cents for ya.

8 Likes

I loved the Tribute to Manos event. Seeing an old classic episode, with some new wrap-arounds and the fun bits with the recipes was great. The live chat with Jackey afterwards was awesome. It felt very much like getting together with friends.

The first Endless Summer rewatch thing started out okay, but between the current people talking, the old riffing, and the movie dialogue, it all quickly devolved into noise for me and I couldn’t follow any of it. I would be less enthused about more of that.

I missed the Jack Box event during the KS, so I have no idea what that even is.

2 Likes
6 Likes

I love playing dress up, so I love this idea! Ideally hosted by Beez :blue_heart:

4 Likes

I LOVE that idea! I mean, Waverly and Growler taking live calls from us MSTies? That would be so cool.

2 Likes

I absolutely love the live event component, it’s great to have something so fun and special to look forward too! What about holding contests that Gizmoplex users can enter during a themed type of event? Like an MST themed hat contest where members take a picture of themselves in their home-made MST hats, send them in and then Joel and team get to vote on the grandest hat of all? Remembering back to the 1994 ConventionCon ExpoFestARama, the costume contest was quite an event, so many creative MSTies coming up with both recognizable costumes (granted, there were perhaps a few too many Masters roaming around), but also random clever ideas, like a woman who was wearing a big paper christmas tree with pictures of Patrick Swayze all over it (best Patrick Swayze Christmas ever!)…giving MSTies the opportunity to be creative and share their creations with fellow MSTies and the MST community would be something special.

3 Likes

k, so, um, does anyone remember the mindless summer livestreams? anyone remember that there were 4 live event tickets shown on screen, listing upcoming events, various themes for each etc. i dont want to post the screenshot, for spoiler reasons, and because, well, nothing is set in stone from the creative side. could just be mock ups, could b events planned but delayed til next year etc, but if anyone is interested, send me a dm. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Came here to put together a list just like this, but you beat me to it!

If I had to narrow it down, I’d love to see more guests from the old episodes, like Jackey Neyman Jones, and I would legitimately pay to watch the MST3K crew play against Rifftrax in their new game. What a great cross promotion that would be! Like the ultimate Jackbox challenge.

4 Likes

The cast is full of hilarious people that have great chemistry. Let them get together and chat about a topic. It wouldn’t have to be MST3K related. Maybe a recently released movie, a band, or tv show. Do it zoom style and maybe intersperse clips of the topic of the event.

I would also like to see events that would be an oral history of MST3K where cast members, past and present, come on and talk about their experience on the show or memorable episodes.

I think events put on by The Mads and Rifftrax would be awesome. Maybe give them additional visibility and to promote upcoming projects.

3 Likes

Yes, those Jackbox Games were super fun!

3 Likes

I wonder if these are indeed future event plans? (From the Kickstarter home page):

(I think I would be very interested in the Kinga & Max riff of Mr. B Natural!)

2 Likes

We’d have to wait until August to know for certain.

The sing-along in December seems oddly timed, though. I think folks are hoping those special events are the three previous Christmas movies.

2 Likes

I’d love to see a live event with a classic episode that has Joel give commentary on a shoot, giving some behind the scenes commentary, and maybe a live riff here and there.

3 Likes

I didn’t know that. That’s too bad. :frowning:

1 Like

my suggestion would be to keep it fresh with different types of live events. if it ends up being the same format over and over people will lose interest. that said, i also really liked the jackbox event and would want to see another.

selfishly, could there at least be 1 event for people in european time zones?

and how related to the show do the live events have to be? i think most of the cast does stand-up, it would be interesting to see a talent showcase of everyone doing some of their material.

my partner requested more interviews with classic movie cast. his suggestion was ‘time chasers’ and david giancola.

joel suggested pausing the movie so the interview subject could relate an anecdote about filming - instead you could do something like pop-up video to make it a more seamless viewing experience. i used to love those.

3 Likes

This is a great idea, I went to two Cinematic Titanic shows, it was really cool just seeing everyone do a stand-up set before the movie started.

I wonder if it might be more difficult without a live audience to hit off of.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what I was referring to as well. Sounds good if that is the plan :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I really enjoyed the “Intermission” segment on Episode 1 – It definitely gives the community theater vibe

2 Likes

You know, the more I think about it, the more I hope that we get at least one “watch party” format like the Mindless Summer series. I didn’t realize how much I would enjoy those until I started seeing them. Like, if the question is how to make the live events feel special, like you’re live with the creators watching their thing, that really did it for me. Whether it was Joel discovering episodes that he hadn’t been around for, or the alumni talking about working on the show, or the new crew remembering experiencing the show as fans, it was so cool to see folks reacting to the old shows. It felt like we were all in the living room watching it together. I’ve gone back and rewatched those streams several times because they were so much fun and there’s no telling when/if they’re just going to evaporate from YouTube one day.

And yeah, I know that those streams weren’t for everyone, I’m not so greedy that I want to call for that format to dominate, but maybe one or two? And people who don’t like the format can just stream the episode regular style if that’s the way they prefer it? (I think it helps that they’ve announced the full current library is going to be up for streaming starting in May.)

And another odd idea that popped into my mind – do you think there’s any kind of interest in watching a demo of They Came From Beneath the Sea? Yeah, I know, it’d be product placement for one of the sponsors, but at the same time, I can’t help but be curious about the idea of the MST3K team basically improvising a B-movie in real time.

5 Likes