Future of the Gizmoplex

I know we’re still a long ways off regarding what might be done when y’all are still working on what you already know you want to do, but I was watching the interview at the end of Robot Wars last night and I really liked what Joel was saying about how one of the reasons for making the Gizmoplex is that MST3K is special. It has a select audience, the time format doesn’t fit with traditional advertising models, etc. So that got me thinking, would the Gizmoplex be a good potential place for experimental or innovative programming, once the MST pieces are in place?

There is a lot of content out there, but there really isn’t a place for folks doing something really different to get noticed. Maybe YouTube is the closest, because it has everything, but it’s not curated and it’s based on popularity so the unique stuff can get lost. In contrast, the Gizmoplex is run by artists who understand fringe and maker cultures and have a long history in the community of experimental theater. So why not include new creations, by new artists, curated and selected by MST folks, as part of what the Gizmoplex does? It sounds to me like a great opportunity to connect up-and-coming innovators with an audience that is likely to appreciate them.

In any case, thanks for everything you do and I’m really enjoying what y’all have put together so far :slight_smile:

9 Likes

FINALLY there’ll be a proper venue for my all-nude production of Blithe Spirit !!

:wink:

4 Likes

Staring Dame Nudie Dench

6 Likes

Be free, Potroast :joy:

2 Likes

If it’s good enough for Crow’s unauthorized Hylas bio it’s good enough for me.

4 Likes

I don’t care what anybody says, I want the return of Joel’s The TV Wheel.

Also, welcome to the forums!

9 Likes

Thanks! And I wasn’t aware of the TV Wheel but I fully support this plan :smile:

3 Likes

I look forward to the day we can gather for the long awaited premier of Earth vs. Soup.

12 Likes

That was delightful. It looks like this is the tape that was being advertised at the end: The TV Wheel Xbox R & D Joel Hodgson MST3K S VHS Transfer 480p 30fps H264 128kbit AAC - YouTube

6 Likes

This needs to be in the Gizmoplex…

Definitely had coffee shooting out of my nose at a couple of points.

Drinkinator was probably my favorite part…

I’d say that it would also make for a good backer reward for any future Kickstarter? (Download, autographed vhs tape?) :thinking:

I wonder if Joel still has any of those X Box tapes?

I’m sure the check from Microsoft (for the name) is in the mail…

I wonder if Season 14 will be filmed in a TV Wheel? :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m seeing the genesis of Flat-o-Mation™ there…

3 Likes

Very good call, I like it!

IT SO DOES

I genuinely liked that stuff. There was a lot of potential. Still is.

I think these concepts could be revitalized and strengthened by way of the Gizmoplex.

3 Likes

… OR, how about, Earth vs. Soup, but it’s on a very tight budget?

3 Likes

Earth Vs. Soup in the style of those new MST3K introduction countdowns.

If Crow can pull a string of paper dolls, he can pull a string on a bowl of soup.

7 Likes

The String Soup Incident? :astonished: I remember them!!

5 Likes

Are you sure you aren’t conflating the String Soup Incident with the Swiss spaghetti harvest?[1]

1. An April Fool’s GOAT, if ever there was one! ↩︎

4 Likes

:astonished: Which came first?!

1 Like

Considering that the BBC (yes, that most staid and phlegmatic of news organizations!) filmed theirs in 1957…

4 Likes

What I love most about the spaghetti harvest is that it was an April Fools Joke from the staid, stodgy BBC News program, Panorama. They did have a sense of humor!

5 Likes

I think you mean Crow-ling For Soup.

Easy mistake to make.

2 Likes