Future Xbox App Thread

While it’s not ideal, I bought a Roku at Black Friday for $15 so I could use the Rifftrax channel. For access to the MST3K and Rifftrax channels, it could be worth it.

1 Like

You on PS4 or PS5?

1 Like

I love the idea! don’t stop at just Xbox though! Roku, iTunes, android… GIZMOPLEX ALL THE THINGS!

1 Like

Right, but they have to pay a (non-trivial) per app development fee and work within the bounds of what Vimeo offers for VHX, which means at this point “all the things (that aren’t already gizmoplexed)” includes: XBox and Samsung Tizen.

3 Likes

Use the browser on your game console.

Xbox has no problem playing streaming video over the browser, if playstations browser sucks get a roku box like you said… or wait. I think those are basically your 3 options.

1 Like

I can do this with the PS4 where I open the browser and click it, but it’s obviously not an idea experience. I was hoping that an app would be released either for an LG Smart TV or for PlayStation that would allow me to select and click and pause and rewind as easily as using a Netflix app, but I suppose I’ll have to wait some time for this direct app functionality.

1 Like

Feel free to reach out to Vimeo and make a feature request to expand their current client offerings.

3 Likes

Yes please! I use Xbox for everything else, so this would be very convenient.

1 Like

For anyone with Windows 11 it should now be possible to download Amazon Appstore to use Android Apps on your PC. It could be possible to stream from your PC to Xbox.

1 Like

Is that any easier than just using Edge on the Xbox to go to the web version of the Gizmoplex? I’ve not tried it yet (because I have an AppleTV and it’s working for me), but I would imagine that would work fine. Xbox has the new Chromium-based Edge.

1 Like

Another option (albeit, not super ideal) is what we are doing. The browser on XBox makes me want to go out and kill the entire neighborhood! (DISCLAIMER: I’m not actually going to kill the entire neighborhood…lol) I load up on my laptop and send via HDMI to our receiver. I have a wireless trackball, so I can control the movie without getting my fat a$$ off the couch! :laughing:

2 Likes

I end up using a laptop now, mostly, but I long for the day when I can just do it by clicking on menu items with my remote.

2 Likes

Same!

1 Like

Cosigning this request. The browser works ok, but it’s not an optimal experience.

1 Like

I would love a dedicated X-Box app. I use the internet browser on the X-Box, and it works fine enough, but a little clunky when compared to how a standalone app would be.

Also, the Gizmoplex seems a little needlessly complicated. I appreciate the artwork they created for it, but I’m not there for a point-and-click adventure game - I just want simple navigation to the movie that I want to see. So, if/when they do an X-Box app, hopefully it’ll be simplified a little bit.

1 Like

That’s fair. The virtual theater was designed to be accessed via a desktop/laptop web browser, so I can imagine going through the Xbox browser is pretty onerous.

But it’s also entirely optional! I know it’s not as ideal as a dedicated app, but have you tried going just to www.gizmoplex.com instead of theater.gizmoplex.com? The standard website is a more straightforward menu system that is probably easier to navigate.

5 Likes

Seconding this. Having used Chromecast, Amazon devices and Rokus over the years IMO the Roku is far and away the best streaming device. It’s cheap, it just works, and has access to all the content I could ever want. Apps on more hardware would be great but like you and a few others pointed out, it may not be financially feasible.

2 Likes