Game Shows

What game show real or fictional is closest to your heart? Or drives you mad? Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, The Running Man, Who Wants To Be a Millionaire, The Weakest Link, The Price Is Right. Where does your mind go when you think of the term?

3 Likes

The Price Is Right and Match Game are my ride-or-die game shows.

4 Likes

Jeopardy! is my favorite. I think it’s a great companion show for us MSTies because, like MST, it requires you to know a little about a lot.

3 Likes

They were before my time, but I used to watch reruns of What’s My Line? and To Tell the Truth on the Game Show Network back when I had cable and I really enjoyed them.

From when game shows were just about fun and not about prizes.

3 Likes

I miss the really elaborate ones, like Legends of the Hidden Temple.

3 Likes

I don’t watch any now, but as a kid I loved Let’s Make a Deal for the goofy s#!t people would end up “winning”.

And of course, it gave us the name for the Monty Hall Problem, a statistical phenomenon that I still don’t truly believe no matter how many times it’s explained to me.

5 Likes

Taskmaster is my SO’s and my show, but the latest season wrapped recently :frowning:

3 Likes

The one upcoming Trivial Pursuit game sounds interesting, especially with Levar Burton hosting.

3 Likes

I don’t really count Taskmaster as a game show, but it is terrific.

EDIT: Check out Outsiders if you haven’t. It’s similar to Taskmaster, but it does its own thing. A bunch of comedians, many Taskmaster veterans, doing tasks while camping for 5 days.

But they’re not really Taskmaster-style tasks.

2 Likes

(I must say, for a host segment: It gives you a lot and goes in many directions. And it’s pretty good recreation, since vintage MG episodes were harder to find in 1993. Plus, I love that it’s a random, no-context bit from Hercules!)

6 Likes

I am a regular watcher of Jeopardy. I have auditioned twice for the show, but have yet to be selected. When I go to my local Irish pub on Fridays, they usually have America Says on one of the TVs. I find it fun to guess along at the bar. I also like The Chase, which has three former Jeopardy champions plus The Beast (who was on both the Game Show Network and UK versions).

Sometimes, on a Saturday, I like watching reruns of Match Game or whatever else on Buzzr. This is how I saw some Richard Dawson-era episodes of Family Feud, and let me tell you–the kissing of all the female contestants has not aged well at all!

2 Likes

My favs? Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, The Price Is Right hosted by Bob Barker. Those are my big three. Muchly on account of Alex Trebek, Pat Sajak and Vanna White, and Bob Barker themselves. The ease they have with contestants and their genuine kindness and professionalism stand out. Today celebrities are often chosen as hosts and it’s a separate vibe than what the old-timers brought to these programs.

2 Likes

If you live in the States, the CW is trying to resurrect this one. It’s not going well, but there is a new version.

2 Likes

I loved Funhouse and Double Dare as a kid in the late 80s.

When my family household got Comedy Central after ditching cable for Dish Network, I got into Beat The Geeks when it premiered.

1 Like

I caught a little bit of Hurl! On G4 back in the day. I couldn’t believe it. It’s like someone saw “Ow My B*lls” in Idiocracy and thought, yes that’s the future I want to make.

2 Likes

The Running Man (1987) I treasure to a large degree linked to the game show at its center. Pure fantasy? You bet. Yet it seems nearer now than it ever did. Richard Dawson is clutch as the host and watching him it saddens me he never broke out into acting full time.

1 Like

THIS is the very sketch I point to when somebody asks me what’s so great about Mystery Science Theater 3000.

That it’s an unapologetic non sequitur to the whole episode just makes it better.

My only complaint is that Richard Dawson always always always sat UNDER Brett Somers.

It should be:

Nipsy Brett Charles
Fanny Richard Betty (Betty Richard Fanny is also acceptable.)

3 Likes

This is going way WAAAAY back… as a kid in the 70’s my absolute favorite game show was “The New Treasure Hunt.”

And I loved “Wheel of Fortune” in the very early seasons when winners would go shopping with the money they won on the show!

“High Rollers” was pretty great too.

4 Likes

Match Game (70s version, haven’t seen the newest version yet to judge) and one that I’m surprised isn’t mentioned yet:

5 Likes

Currently in the middle of its 75th season.

3 Likes