Games, movies, albums, and shows you're impatiently looking forward to and why?

Nintendo has one of its famous Directs today, and I’m over the moon about this:

2 Likes

The look of that lead character gives me tokusatsu vibes. And now I want to see Fire Emblem going full Super Sentai or Kamen Rider. That’d be amazing to watch.

2 Likes

Oooooh yeah. Can’t wait for Clerks III.

Been a Kevin Smith fan since the early 2000’s, even though I saw Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back as my first entry because it had just came out, which is far from Kevin’s greatest movie, but I ended up finding Chasing Amy and falling in love with that, and after that I had to see Dogma which I still think may of been Kevin’s best movie in the Askiewverse.

I mean I enjoyed Jay and Silent Bob but wasn’t that impressed to pay attention to the director until I stumbled upon Chasing Amy, and didn’t even realize it was from the same guy until Jay and Silent Bob came in the cafe for their likeness checks from Holden. Once I knew, I looked it up online and seen their was a few movies that all included Jay and Silent Bob from the same director, and by the time I seen Dogma I was a legitimate fan. Then I seen the first 2 evenings with Kevin Smith, then Clerks 2 came out and I loved that, so then I had to see Clerks, and finally I ended up watching MALLRATS last, but yeah watched all those I don’t know how many times now, Kevin Smith definitely had an affect on my teens and 20’s.

2 Likes

I’m with the others waiting for season 2 of Star Trek Strange New Worlds and the Babylon 5 reboot.

But I’m also confused about the Netflix Magic the Gathering animation that was supposed to come out last month. I have a feeling it isn’t gonna happen :frowning: The original guys producing it left the project and there’s nothing about anyone else taking it up. :cry:

2 Likes

It’s not a good time for streaming shows, especially animation. Netflix is losing profitability and keeps raising prices and cancelling projects, and HBO Max is cancelling things left and right and removing existing shows (to avoid paying residuals) because the CEO of Discovery-Warner hates everything but reality TV (insiders have said if he could program nothing but Chip and Joanna all day, he would.) and strongly prefers cable over streaming.

2 Likes

I wonder if we will see a shift back to cable and the traditional networks after the streaming industry implodes?

2 Likes

Probably not. Still plenty of folks that want to watch movies and shows on their own time.

4 Likes

No, streaming is not going away.

What you will see is a massive consolidation (it’s already starting). And prices will continue to increase (especially for ad-free versions).

Network and cable networks will continue to limp along. Network TV (in the US at least) has a government mandate to provide things like news and emergency alerts to the public.

4 Likes

I figure streaming’s going to do what cable did: you have big packages with lots of little things. It’s worked before; we just called it On Demand.

1 Like

How long until ad-free stops even being an option?

1 Like

HBO (for example) has always been ad free, but expensive on cable. Hulu, Paramount+, and Peacock all charge a premium for ad free (and Netflix is headed that way), and so long as that differential is at least close to parity with what they estimate they’d get in ad revenue, they’ll keep it as an option.

3 Likes

I figure it’s unlikely for as long as it’s an option that people are willing to pay more for.

3 Likes

I’m not willing to watch commercials ever again, so for me it’s a decision between “is it worth paying for the ad-free option” and “am I okay with not watching this stuff at all.”

1 Like

If you’re like me, and I know I am.

1 Like

Just reporting that The Night Shift, a 2011 film by the same folks who brought us Demon Squad, will be up for free viewing on YouTube starting at 8 PM tomorrow:

4 Likes

Ooooh, nice!

2 Likes

I’ll have to catch this sometime soon!

Thank you sir, for the heads-up.

2 Likes

Sounds great. I love Michael Keaton and Shelley Long.

3 Likes

No love for Henry Winkler? He’s not in this too!

3 Likes

Oh, Henry’s great in everything.

1 Like