General All-Purpose Doctor Who Thread

I didn’t think it to myself as much as I said it out loud.

4 Likes

Came here to post this

2 Likes

Doctor: Push the button
Me: Frank
Doctor: Once again, push the button!
Me Max!

3 Likes

Basically, it’s what everyone here thought. We must be obsessed with a certain TV show…

1 Like

Second episode had me agog from the beginning. It also had a line that delighted me to no end, once I did a “wait, what?”. The tension was building, the background music was rising. Ruby: “Can you hear that? That music?” [then nefarious thing happens] Doctor: “… I thought that was non-diegetic.” (i.e. part of the episode’s score, not something happening in the story that the characters would hear.) LOL!!

2 Likes

… Whittaker at the behest of Chibnall, but ok.

After Moffat (some would say “nearly”) ran the show into the ground (due to a style and direction he seemed proud of), Chibnall may have thought he didn’t have anywhere to go but up. I tend to think during his run the show did go a little bit up, but continued in the various sideways directions, too. Part of that lore was good and maybe inspired, and the recent specials and episodes aren’t hand-waving it away.

1 Like

Any interview with them I read was all about themselves first, and Doctor Who second. It put me off.

1 Like

I can empathize. With me it was an interview with Moffat that made it obvious he was trashing (IMO) the show intentionally. (Something along the lines of: nobody takes this seriously, it’s all for a laugh, he’s doing it for his young kids to give them something silly to joke about at school, etc.)

1 Like

Yeah, he Didn’t Get It.

1 Like

And then they go and put Murray Gold on screen! I saw his name in the credits as “Himself” and was like, wait what? and had to scrub backwards to find him (he’s playing piano in the dance number).

2 Likes

I just got a chance to see the first two episodes. I’m not sure what I think about them, but I was hoping for a bit more. Some non-spoiler things I noticed:

1. This doctor seems to get terrified more easily than previous incarnations. I realize there were explanations in the stories, but having it happen in both episodes jumped out. Perhaps they should have been separated.
  2. These episodes felt like they were targeted at a really young audience, younger than the Sarah Jane Adventures.

Spoiler thoughts - Space Babies:

-While common for a first journey of a new companion to have a view of a different part of the universe in the distance future, it play well and the doctor saying it looked better when he sees it through her eyes was a perfect sentiment.
-The title Space Babies, and calling the babies ‘space babies’ throughout the episode got on my nerve. Putting ‘space’ in front of something normal to make it ‘futuristic’ is an old and much mocked trope.
-The bogie monster being made of bogies was childish, but worked with Ruby’s reaction.
-Moving the station via a giant fart (complete with a butt shaped part of the station) was just cringe. If there is a worse use of Disney effects money, I don’t want to see it.

Spoiler thoughts for The Devil’s Chord:

-This was overall a much better episode, although let down by the end.
-Taking Ruby to the future destroyed by the Maestro echoed back to Tom showing Sarah that Sutekh would destroy her world if they didn’t stop him in “Pyramids of Mars”.
-They really missed an opportunity with the banishment chord. They should have used the opening chord to “A Hard Day’s Night”. The setup was perfect for that, and people have spent a lot of effort to figure out just what notes were being played on it, so it was a real lost chord.
-The “There’s always a Twist at the End” musical number. If they were going to do a musical production, I would have rather it been incorporated into the plot (for the music battle for instance) instead of tacking it on to the end outside the story, and introduced with essentially a fourth wall break.

I’m looking forward to next weeks “Boom”, and the return of Steven Moffat as a writer.

1 Like

I was perfectly happy with them using the chord from “A Day in the Life” on account of that being a finality, but I like your reasoning better. Because the opening chord of “A Hard Day’s Night” is also an ending (to everything that had gone before) and leads into something new. So, yeah, I’m with you here.

As for my general feelings on these new episodes, I’m not really that happy with them. My Who-watching friend and I were like “well, they’re better than Chibnall” but that is not the kind of “lesser of two evils” world we want to live in.

They do, however, pass my litmus test of “a premise so weird, you would never confuse it with another science fiction property.” They may not be good, but they are most definitely Doctor Who.

3 Likes

But that was (presumably) just John playing that chord. The whole point of the chord scene was to show a Lennon-McCartney collaboration creating a transcendental moment that saved all of music.

But it wasn’t just John, it was John, Paul, George, plus George Martin. The 'A Hard Day's Night' opening chord | The Beatles Bible They could have filmed it with Paul and John on the piano and George on a 12-sting and used artistic license to play that chord. And follow it with one of them saying it was a brilliant chord and they should use it in a song.

1 Like

I would never have noticed. (I like the Beatles, but I don’t know anything about the Beatles, really, especially in terms of musical techniques.) I had wondered why we, the viewers, were supposed to perceive that otherwise kinda, well, bland? piano chord as somehow special and “banishy”. Although I guess maybe that characteristic is why the Doctor didn’t think of a simple E-major (four hands or not)… but I did also find myself confused by what he was playing (as a line and not a chord).

3 Likes

That also bothered me. Individual notes are not a chord, so why was Maestro affected when the Doctor played them?

Also: as it transpired, it seemed like “every note correct except for that last one” which to me sounded like “oh yay, this is going to be wicked easy to do” and not “oh no we’re doomed.” Kind of like having a phone number only missing one digit. Well, just try all ten possibilities - that’s so much less work than the millions of combinations you’d have to try otherwise.

As a side note: putting everything into spoiler tags is kind of annoying me. I wonder if we should have a separate thread that is titled “Doctor Who Spoilerly Woilerly Discussion with Spoilers that Spoil” and then after the season is finished but before the next season starts it gets merged into this thread.

EDIT: Per mod haberdashery, this is deemed an idea with bad consequences, and I happily retract it.

MOD HAT: Please don’t start a second thread. Then people watching every show are going to want two threads and that just gets unmanageable really fast.

4 Likes

Finally had a chance to sit down and watch this one.

Frankly, I was a little disappointed. There wasn’t much with the Beatles in an episode touted as the Doctor and Ruby meet the Beatles. I did like the bit at the end where John and Paul together find the banishing chord. Nice touch.

​I know the actor playing Maestro is apparently a big deal, but I found their performance distracting. And maybe that was the point, as there wasn’t much in terms of script here. The music pieces seemed overly long to the point it felt like the production was stretching them to fill time.

Odd that once again, the Doctor is running away from the ‘monster’, and I liked that Ruby called him on it. Also a nice touchpoint to the First Doctor and where he was in 1963. And we finally get some news about Susan! Not happy news, but news, and at least it’s an explanation for why he hasn’t gone looking for her. I hope that is some sort of foreshadowing and we do see Susan sometime down the line this season.

Does Millie actually play the piano? If she doesn’t, she did a much better job of pretending to than Ncuti. :slight_smile:

Not a bad episode, but not that great either. I’d give it a 6 out of 10.

2 Likes

I found this interview that asks if the audition included singing, dancing, and playing piano, and the response went on about all the stuff they do that wasn’t mentioned at the audition. So while not definitive, I think she would have at least said something like “fortunately I already play piano so that wasn’t such a big deal” if that were the case. So she may be faking it pretty well. Or maybe she’s not a good piano player but she’s familiar enough with it to not look like an alien trying to pass as human.

1 Like

I do sympathize with this, though. On Discord I have spoiler text set to always display so that I don’t constantly have to be clicking to reveal it!

2 Likes