Giant Gila Monster riff question

This is going to be a very strange story, so strap yourselves in. Not that tight. You can loosen it a bit.

I first encountered “The Giant Gila Monster” in syndication as The MST Hour, and I was taping all of those to VHS for hours of enjoyment. I also happened to run off a cord to my computer and made a bunch of sound bite WAV files (the days before MP3!). And one of my favorite riffs from Giant Gila Monster became one of my favorite WAV files. I’ve since lost both the WAV files (they were pretty hiss-y) and the VHS tape.

When Giant Gila Monster came out on DVD, I was waiting for my favorite riff…and it wasn’t on there! The heck? Was this a moment that only aired in syndication? Am I just sleeping through it every time I re-watch it?

When the teens are helping to look for the lost teenagers whose makeoutmobile was smashed by the Gila Monster, there’s this “teen” who is clearly a little too old to be playing that given his hair, and he’s driving a convertible. The convertible has a cover over the collapsed roof, and the whole thing is very luxurious…plus the guy arrives with the car filled with women. Joel (IIRC) says, in a suave hepcat voice, “Looks like Larry Miller’s traveling hot tub!”

I SWEAR that riff existed. Does anyone else remember that? Am I somehow getting this wrong? Any help is appreciated.

2 Likes

I watched Gila Monster a few months back and I could almost swear I recall A Larry Miller joke, but I can’t swear to it.

Maybe the only way to be sure is to go back to Tubi and listen for it specifically.

(But somebody with a fresher memory will probably save the day before I can, Hutch, ol’ pal!)

2 Likes

In my copy, at 38:51 Joel says “Hello, I’m Larry Miller, how are you?”

There are a few more lines, Crow says (as that same guy) “All right, as long as I get to be Tige Andrews” and Servo responds, “No, we’ve already decided you’re Larry Miller.”
It appears to have roughly the car and “teen” as you described them:
MST3K - 0402 - 20010707 - The Giant Gila Monster.avi_snapshot_00.38.39_2021.07.10_04.33.31
MST3K - 0402 - 20010707 - The Giant Gila Monster.avi_snapshot_00.38.50_2021.07.10_04.34.09

2 Likes

I don’t know if this helps, but I can confirm that some of the MST3K hour cuts and the full episode cuts do have minor differences and slightly different jokes (usually right before the commercial breaks) and The Giant Gila Monster was one of these. So, you may have to find a copy of the hour cut and see if the joke remains there.

3 Likes

I think your brain might be doing that conflating thing it does -

I’ve been sitting here watching Rifftrax on Tubi while I’m having a sick day, and I SWEAR there was a ‘convertible is a hot tub’ joke in one of those, but I’m kinda loopy right now and couldn’t tell you which episode that was.

They do refer to one guy as Larry Miller a couple of times in GGM, but I’m pretty sure the hot tub joke is not in that movie.

3 Likes

I was re-watching Earth vs Spider and when they’re looking for dad there’s this riff: “They’re driving in a hot tub”. No Larry Miller, though

4 Likes

Raudy, thanks much for confirming that it’s PROBABLY the case that the joke was only on the MST Hour. Now…how the heck do I find someone who has it? The old MST Archive project is long gone (no need now that 98% of the episodes are available to own) but I remember that in the later years some of the people had started archiving the MST Hour versions.

What really burns my britches is that I had recycled that old MST VHS because I didn’t think I needed those anymore. I mean, I HAD it, for years and years, and had cast it away shortly before I realized the need to keep it.

Hopefully, as this MST3K Central grows, SOMEONE with a copy of Gila Monster MST Hour will reply!

1 Like

@TheHutchCom

So, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that I have a copy of The Giant Gila Monster hour version on VHS (both parts).

The bad news is I have a copy of The Giant Gila Monster hour version on VHS, and I am terribly unsavvy with tech.

So, worst case scenario, I watch the tape and give you the answer (assuming it can still play). Best case, you help me find away to digitize it, or something, (assuming it’s in good enough condition) and watch it yourself.

1 Like

The MST3K Hour was cut down from the original, so it’s highly unlikely for something to be on there that wasn’t in the original.

1 Like

As I recall, some cuts had different jokes, especially at the commercial breaks.

It’s one of the reasons why I saved the tapes in the first place.

But I could be wrong.

Guess we’ll find out when @TheHutchCom tells me what he wants me to do.

1 Like

Yes, I am pretty sure there is a hot tub convertible joke in RiffTrax somewhere. There is also at least one Hot Tub Time Machine joke. And a hot tub murder in Terror at Tenkiller. Hot tub!

2 Likes

Hey Raudy! Thanks for the response. Sorry I hadn’t seen the notifications.

I guess the first question is: Do you have a VCR? Want to give it a watch and let me know if the line is even there? If you don’t have a VCR, then we’ll talk about how I can borrow the tape from you.

1 Like

@TheHutchCom

No worries!

I have access to a VCR, but it’ll take me some time to get to it, due to COVID. How long are you willing to wait?

1 Like

I’ve waited decades already. :slight_smile:
Waiting is easy. I don’t have to do anything.

Alright. I’ll get on it soon. Gen Con takes priority for now, but after that, I’ll dig it up.

1 Like

Did you find anything?

MST3k Fandom is the study of pressure and time. That’s all it takes really… Pressure. And Time.
That and a big dang Gizmoplex

1 Like

Sorry I haven’t responded. I got the tape! I just gotta watch it. My life is currently a busy train wreck, so I hope to ge5 to it soon! My apologies for taking so long!

1 Like