Giant Non-Specific Football / Soccer Thread! (NOW with World Cup 2022!)

I’m nervous as all Hell just watching this. I can’t imagine what it’s like to be a player taking a penalty under these circumstances.

2 Likes

And Messi and co take it. Congratulations guys and a huge thanks 'cos you just won me £50! :grin: Argentina were the better team for most of the game even if they got complacent and were almost punished for it. Messi is far and away the best player I’ve ever watched play the game so I’m glad he managed to lift the World Cup. He’s carried the team for much of the tournament but they all stepped up today and were magnificent outside of a shaky 10-15 minutes.

2 Likes

(Not blurred because everyone has to know by now, LOL, but look away if you haven’t seen!)

WHY DID NO ONE WARN ME ABOUT THAT FINAL?!?!

I mean, granted, I’ve stayed off the internet the entire day until I could watch the replay, but still. Of course this drama llama of a WC would end like this! Of course late goals and penalties! Of course Messi and Mbappe would go toe to toe like that!

And people say soccer is boring. Pfffft. :roll_eyes:

Happy for Messi and Mac Allister. I don’t feel sorry for France; the older guys got it in 2018 and the younger will get another chance.

Oh, and France is soooo lucky that Lloris and Mbappe were born French!

What a freaking tournament. I canNOT wait for 2026!

4 Likes

Brighton’s Mac Allister was outstanding today and has had a superb tournament overall. They’ll probably struggle to hang on to him now but at least they should get a nice big payday from it if they don’t. There was a lot of shenanigans from the Argentina keeper in the shootout but there was footage afterwards of him consoling Mbappe which was nice to see.

Argentina’s whole run was like a Hollywood script for a World Cup movie. An aging star with something to prove has to lead his team to glory in his last shot at the big time. In the first game there’s a humiliation from a rank outsider with a tense follow up match knowing that defeat will send them home early. A moment of inspiration gets his team through before another couple of wins to set up a showdown with the Dutch. Our team is looking comfortable with a two goal lead before conceding near the end which throws them into disarray and a second goal is lost with just about the last kick off the game. A tense period of extra time and a penalty shootout sees them scrape through before a comfortable win in the semi to set up a showdown with the reigning champions in the final which turns out to be a titanic battle for the ages.

4 Likes

Messi was probably Argentina’s third best player- behind Mac Allister and Di Maria, as well.

2 Likes

In the Scottish Cup, Premier League side Aberdeen were just knocked out by Darvel, a team from the sixth tier which is probably the biggest shock in the 150 year history of the tournament. Astonishing.

2 Likes

Oh wow! Talk about a Cupset!

2 Likes