Giant Non-Specific Football / Soccer Thread! (NOW with World Cup 2022!)

Yep, they are taking it to England and England aren’t adjusting as quickly as they should.

And Pulisic really is frothing at the mouth for a goal.

2 Likes

Are you ready for some socball!

That was diabolical. Good point for the USA but that match was so bad to watch it wouldn’t even get shown in the Gizmoplex.

1 Like

Judging by the number and quick availability of ponchos, I’m going to guess that this is not an unexpected thing.

1 Like

They had tickets for Gallagher before he passed.

It’s Brits watching footy with drinks on tap. win, lose or draw, liquid will fly.

1 Like

Ready for Canada round 2. If they put in a shift like they did against Belgium they’ve got a shout against Croatia. If they get another penalty I hope they’re more ruthless though. Passing the ball to the keeper might be the polite thing to do but it won’t win you games at the World Cup.

That Canada match: OUCH!!

Saw a surprising amount of World Cup this weekend given I was hosting guests - and I spent a lot of time explaining offside - and I have been impressed with the amount of drama going on.

So sad about Canada, though.

Today I managed to see the second half and now I’m watching the South Korea / Ghana match and I’m all :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:!

2 Likes

Honestly, they got back to the big dance after decades and Davies got our first WC Goal.

While there is a lot to be disappointed with, there is also a lot to feel good about, especially seeing we are co-hosting the next one. But no doubt, there is still a lot of work to do in the next few years.

2 Likes

Yeah, Canada is fun to watch, and I have skin in their game as Mark-Anthony Kaye played for my own side for a couple seasons on championship squads, so I’ll always root for Canada. Hope they just go out in their 3rd group stage game, rotate everyone they can in, have a ball, and win by 5.

Watching Switzerland / Brazil now and I am always annoyed by Brazil. I don’t know why. I just am.

The South Korea v Ghana game was great. Korea will be kicking themselves in conceding 3 but several times they had chances but instead of shooting first time, they tried to control it and gave the Ghana defenders the opportunity to block the shot.

It’s kind of like how I felt watching Scotland last year at the European Championships. That was their first major tournament since the World Cup in 1998 and while results were ultimately disappointing - defeats to Czech Republic and Croatia plus a draw with England - it was good to be part of it again. Even though we didn’t get the results we wanted, you couldn’t fault the players for not trying. They had a good go but were ultimately beaten by better teams. But it was good experience for them and I’m optimistic about the future of the team.

Canada really put it out there and gave Croatia a scare but they’re an experienced and organised team and it showed. Regardless of results Canada have won a lot of respect for their performances.

2 Likes

UGH. We’ve now gone to the 2-games-at-the-same-time lineup of matches. I HATE that. Usually because the commentators just have to keep giving updates on the other match, and you know, I’d love to watch that replay and have some suspense.

So USA and England are kicking off at the same time. I’ll of course be watching USA / Iran. Win and we’re in. Just depends what USA team shows up!

2 Likes

Senegal / Ecuador : Oh heck yeah, Senegal! I feel like African footballing is always underestimated on the biggest stages in favor of the SA / European teams, and it’s nice to see Senegal battling back to advance. :clap: :clap: :clap:

And HAH at Qatar.

I’m cheating a bit to get around Fox Sports, so I don’t think I can manage having both US and England up at the same time, but I’ll try!

It didn’t used to be that way but events in the 1982 World Cup group stage forced a change so that the last group games would be played simultaneously after that tournament.

I’m torn as I do want to watch Wales v England but I might watch the USA game as I expect it to be a better match plus there could be some fireworks there as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a sending off or two.

1 Like

I’ve managed to pull up the double!!! MUAHAHA!

(Listening to the US, though.)

1 Like

Whynotboth?

2 Likes

Hey, I can watch two at a time…audio gets a little, uh, sticky. :laughing:

1 Like

Hopefully USA get a goal soon because Iran are playing for the draw and are unwilling to commit players going forward.

1 Like