Giants of MST3K

Was noticing recently how many MST3K movies feature a giant threat, whether it’s a classic kaiju or enlarged animal or giant human or colossal alien. I thought it might be nice to take a census of these in poll form. Vote for your favorite each time, and I’ll start with the kings of the monsters:

MST3-Kaiju

• Gamera
  • Godzilla
  • Gorgo
  • Reptilicus
  • The Beast Of Hollow Mountain
  • Yongary, Monster From The Deep
  • the enemies from Atlantic Rim

0 voters

I didn’t add all the foes of Gamera and Godzilla, but they are present in spirit. More polls coming, and let me know if I overlook any entrants.

2 Likes

I want to write in the giant ducks! (& also save them from the giant bbq so they can battle giant slugs)

6 Likes

3 Likes

Next up are the creepy crawlies super-sized.

Oversized Nasties

• The Black Scorpion
  • The Deadly Mantis
  • The Giant Gila Monster
  • giant grasshoppers fromThe Beginning Of The End
  • giant spider from Earth vs. The Spider
  • giant spiders from The Giant Spider Invasion

0 voters

1 Like

Tough call; Gamera is really neat, and while Reptilicus is silly, he really illustrates the great array of monsters all over the place.

8 Likes

You forgot Glen Manning!

5 Likes

Glenn was 50 feet tall!

3 Likes

Nope, he’s coming in a different themed poll.

2 Likes

They came from beyond to terrorise the puny Earthlings! It’s the attack of the…

Alien Bigguns

• The Crawling Eye
  • Teenagers From Outer Space (giant crab things)
  • Prince Of Space (Phantom’s giant guardian)
  • Starcrash (“Lady Talos” giant robot)
  • The Day Time Ended (inexplicable time monsters)

0 voters

3 Likes

Giant lobster things. Seeing as how they were lobsters.

2 Likes

Space crawdads in drawn butter. Mwah!

That episode is an infrequent watch for me, I just recalled them as crustaceans.

2 Likes

:musical_note: “Every country has a lobster…” :musical_note:

7 Likes

And finally, because I want to get these all posted before I head off, it’s those lumbering humans that haunt our dreams. How many sins must a man commit in a single lifetime?

They Might Be Giants

• The Amazing Colossal Man/War Of The Colossal Beast
  • Village Of The Giants
  • Monster A-Go-Go
  • Tor Johnson
  • Richard Kiel

0 voters

1 Like

Tor want to vote in poll. Tor vote for Tor.

5 Likes

Time for vote in poll.

6 Likes

Man, I am so basic. I picked the most popular option in every single one.

5 Likes

Though I enjoy the Deadly Mantis and both of the giant spider movies are among my favorite episodes, I simply love the personality that Joel gave to the gila monster.

5 Likes

Gamera gets my vote, but he’s a tricky one because he’s really only a threat in the first movie, then a friend (to all children) afterward.

3 Likes

Godzilla’s the king, 'nuff said

The mantis was well done, but for sheer goofiness, the giant spider housed in a VW is delicious (to kind of quote Vincent Price in the Alice Cooper song, “Black Widow”)

Alien Bigguns is a close one, crawling eyes are creepy, giant guardians are hilarious, and giant robots with nipples make me ask, “why, do they serve a function, do they turn other robots on?”

And finally, while I love Tor and Kiel, Glenn is the biggest and the best and most philosophical. Oh how I wished he could have popped up in the VotG to show those punks a thing or two (about a thing or two)

3 Likes

You know? That’s what influenced my vote, too.

6 Likes