Give 'em a cheer while they're still here!

You’re right, I do want to say it:

MASTER BLASTER RUNS BARTERTOWN!

4 Likes

“Sure! That’s why you live in >{%#!”

2 Likes

Same guy. A lot of people don’t appreciate that.

master
angeleno

3 Likes

Was he (maybe also his sister) the only one of the “Freaks” that had a film career after that movie?

1 Like

You’re thinking of Harry and Daisy Earles (Hans and Frieda) who did indeed have careers after that. (Harry was even a member of the Lollipop Guild.)

Johnny Eck, who played Johnny the “Half Boy”, was in several Tarzan films, in heavy costume. He also had a stage career in a very successful magic act.

3 Likes

Gotcha.

Happy 92nd birthday to the GOAT of film composers, John Williams!

8 Likes

I was thinking the other day about how much of the soundtrack of our lives he has composed.

3 Likes

He’s probably written more of the world’s most instantly recognizable tunes than anyone else.

4 Likes

I’m gonna argue with ‘Greatest of all Time’ label.

My vote would be for Erich Wolfgang Korngold, who Williams cribbed from.

1 Like

He is not my favorite film composer (that would be a tie between Bernard Herrmann and Ennio Morricone), but I think he has earned the GOAT title because you can sing the Star Wars theme or the Raiders theme or the Superman theme to someone anywhere in the world and there’s a very good chance they will recognize it.

3 Likes

In a similar vein, a composer I enjoy is J.G. Thirlwell, turned 63 last week. Probably best known as the composer of the themes to The Venture Brothers and Archer, but he has made a lot of weird, cool music.

Edit: Adding a link to some of his stranger stuff.

1 Like

Other highly recognizable themes by Williams:

• Jaws
  • Jurassic Park
  • Harry Potter
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • Lost in Space
2 Likes

A few years ago, someone posted on Twitter that his son had been listening to the Star Wars theme all day, so he asked him why. “Because it makes me feel big.”

2 Likes

I’ll go with ‘Greatest of our generation’, but I’ll still protest GOAT.

None of us are THAT old.

1 Like

I am. I’m a Highlander. As far as you know. Why, I remember when John Philip Sousa was complaining about these new fangled phonographs and I said, “John, quit fussing and being an old fuddy duddy!”

2 Likes

And I was trying to get electroplating to work with some pottery, plumbing, and vinegar back in Herculaneum before Vesuvius blew and I had to high-tail it out of there.

I keep meaning to go back and dig up the old shop one of these days.

2 Likes

Young’un! Whippersnapper! Why, I remember back in the cave, telling Og, “Hey, why don’t we try hunting and gathering?”

2 Likes

I may have been the cause of the big bang.

3 Likes

I wondered what caused me to sneeze!