Give 'em a cheer while they're still here!

Was that Steve Coogan on the left? He was on Conan O’Brien back in the 90s or early 2000s and did an impression of Michael Caine as a suicide prevention hotline operator. “Okay, okay, listen- SHUT UP.”

3 Likes

Yes, that’s Steve Coogan.

I meant right. Urgh.

1 Like

I assumed.

Happy 94th birthday to the original Gomez Addams, John Astin!

gomez1

He was also the replacement Riddler on the Adam West Batman series after Frank Gorshin was holding out for more money, but we won’t hold that against him.

11 Likes

The original and the best Gomez Addams. Can I admit I had a bit of a crush on him?

Also adored him as Professor Wickwire on The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

(Still not dead)

9 Likes

He was the best everything he was in. Except Batman. Fank Gorshin was still better as The Riddler. He was still great though.

6 Likes

I get why they wanted to keep the Riddler, but he really deserved his own character.

5 Likes

I think they had basically run out of Batman villains by the time he was cast.

3 Likes

What do you mean? After him they still introduced… um, Colonel Gumm and Louie the Lilac!

5 Likes

Trust me, there were plenty of B-list villains from the comics available. Like the Penny Pincher.

2 Likes

I think it was more that they ran out of ones they knew existed. I mean they just made up Egghead and they didn’t have to.

1 Like

Egghead was inspired, you have to admit.

1 Like

I would say it was more than Vincent Price did something inspired with it.

I doubt it would have been so inspired if it was someone else.

3 Likes

The only other original villain for the series who was equally as memorable was King Tut, as played by Victor Buono, and I think that’s for much the same reason. I don’t think any other actor good have done justice.

I do have a minor wishlist of people I WISH had gotten a chance to play villains on Batman, and that list includes Sammy Davis Junior and Michael Dunn.

5 Likes

Michael Dunn would have been great, although we already have him playing a great villain on Wild, Wild West.

As far as Sammy, at least he got to be on the show…

4 Likes

So was Victor Buono. Buono’s Count Manzeppi and Dunn’s Dr. Loveless were the show’s only recurring villains.

Today, I learned that Buono was also in the show’s pilot episode as a character named… checks notes… Wing Fat.

… It’s good they retooled the show.

3 Likes

He was also a Fu Manchu-esque villain named Tung-Ze in Dean Martin’s spy movie The Silencers. It felt so ridiculous that it almost comes across as a parody of yellowface casting of the era, but sadly it probably wasn’t.

But he was an absolute delight as King Tut. Easily the best villain outside of the main four, and I’d say just as good as any of them.

2 Likes

Outside of the main four (which I assume is Joker, Penguin, Riddler, and Catwoman), I’d say the best villain is a tie between Tut and Price’s Egghead. Other good villains include The Minstrel (I loved the comparisons between him and Batman), False-Face (arguably the most “traditional” comic villain, not funny, but somewhat chilling as I don’t think any other villain held as much animosity towards Batman), and Otto Preminger’s Mr. Freeze. I also enjoyed Roddy McDowall’s Bookworm and the Mad Hatter.

4 Likes

I’m sorry that Egghead and King Tut never made it to Batman: TAS. They didn’t necessarily have to be silly like in the campy show they were created for.

1 Like