Give 'em a cheer while they're still here!

Frank Oz, famous for … being a legend, is 80 today.

11 Likes

A cheer to the lady who was born on the same month and day I was - Miss America 1955, Lee Meriwether, who recently turned 89.

She made her film debut in 1959’s 4D Man

As a fan of the character, I’ll give her an extra cheer as one of the remarkable women who portrayed Catwoman - here she appears as Miss Kitka in the 1966 Batman movie.

16745631240_9bb3a8d735_w

She was a regular on series like Barnaby Jones, The Time Tunnel, All My Children, and had a memorable guest role in Star Trek

This is the ep where Sulu asked the immortal question… “How can such people be, Captain? Such evil and she’s so, so beautiful.” :grin: (because only the ugly can be evil)

Happy belated birthday, Lee

7 Likes

What’s the old saw? “Beauty is only skin deep, but ugliness cuts clean to the bone.”

2 Likes

Yeah, but according to the philosopher Jimmy Soul -

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life
Never make a pretty woman your wife
So for my personal point of view
Get an ugly girl to marry you

4 Likes

That’s only because Jimmy Soul couldn’t cook for himself.

Kon “Cornjob” Ômura is still with us at 92!

12 Likes

Can Shout Factory afford a GOOD translator? I want someone to interview him for us!!

5 Likes

I want to know if he knows that many Americans think of him as Cornjob when that was never the name of any character he’s ever played?

6 Likes

The Sci Fi era loves to jab at Japan for its weird TV choices. But I remember a Japan-based ESL teacher and MST3K fan from the Club MST3K days saying that she tried to explain to her Japanese friends how this show works, and they were completely confused and couldn’t wrap their minds around something so peculiar!

So just watching the intereviewer explain MST3K to a Japanese actor could be a great exercise all by itself.

4 Likes

Plenty of westerners don’t really get it either. The guy who played Rowsdower was apparently flattered by the attention but didn’t understand the show at all based on an interview I read a while back.

4 Likes

Also, a lot of years have elapsed since Season 10. Maybe it’s less unheard-of now. :thinking:

I for one would love to watch a short in which Japanese viewers laugh at what funny names we have. :wink:

3 Likes

Remember the dude at the top of this thread? Well…

6 Likes

For a second, I thought this was the OTHER thread and got scared. Knocks on wood Get Dick some kale!

Fun story- I used to post on a Disney World message board, and, naturally, there would often be discussion about the films. Anyway, the board had an automatic filter that would blur out words the software deemed naughty, regardless of context. So, if you were talking about the film Mary Poppins and mentioned the cast, “Dick Van Dyke” would instead read **** Van ****. (Curiously “poppycock” ALWAYS got through.)

3 Likes

And once again, reminding you that Mr. VanDyke is a serial killer…

5 Likes