Give 'em a cheer while they're still here!

Whereas Little Nell is a youthful 69.

3 Likes

Uh, I’m pretty sure Richard O’Brien is an ageless eldrich entity wandering through spacetime.

Oh yeah, and Eliva is a youthful 71. I’d tell you how she stays looking so good, but, you know, family forum.

9 Likes

Other Laugh-In alumni:

Ruth Buzzi is 86
Jo Anne Worley is 85
Goldie Hawn is 77
Willie Tyler is 82 (Lester’s age is unknown)

6 Likes

I just logged on to Twitter to see Gene Hackman was trending, and immediately thought of this post.

It’s alright folks, Gene made it safely back to Earth and is today celebrating his 93rd birthday! :confetti_ball: :tada:

7 Likes

fc0de0209ca886d05386669df4b458aa

I was watching a doc on Rita Moreno, and thought, “there’s no way she’s 91?” (maybe 90 when it was filmed)

But age hits us all differently, I got a photo and autograph with Stan Lee when he was in his 90s, and he was the youngest 90+ I ever met.

5 Likes

I had a bad, BAD start when I saw he was trending, then realized it was only his birthday! Whew!
:laughing:

I know someone who knows someone who is related to someone who lives near Gene and they say Gene’s out and about a fair amount on his bike or in his front yard painting these days.

6 Likes

PACKERS! Woo Hoo!

OIP

I believe guard Jerry Kramer is the oldest living Packer from the first Superbowl, he’s 97. WR Boyd Dowler is also still with us, at age 95.

With RB Charlie Trippi passing last Oct at the age of 100, the oldest surviving NFL Hall of Famer is Bills coach Marv Levy at 97, after him is Vikings coach Bud Grant at 95.

2 Likes

And in baseball, Willie Mays is still here at 91. He’s the oldest living BBHOFer.

mays

Sandy Koufax is still alive, too, and Brooks Robinson.

8 Likes

81 years old, the source of the “Mahavishnu Orchestra” riff and shortening my bucket list by announcing some Shakti 50th Anniversary U.S. tour dates this morning, let’s hear it for John McLaughlin.

600x380_Artist_JohnMcLaughlin

4 Likes

As a boy, my two favorite baseball teams were the St. Louis Cardinals (the local eam) in the NL and the 1972-74 World Series Champions, the Oakland Athletics in the AL. That team was just loaded with talent: Vida Blue, Catfish Hunter, Sal Bando, Gene Tennace, Joe Rudi, Rollie Fingers, Bert Campenaris, and certainly not least, Reggie Jackson. They were an amazing and colorful (the uniforms and mustaches alone insured that) team and each of those men were baseball heroes to me.

Fast forward about 15 years, by which time I was living in the SF bay area and got to attend several A’s games in person. And in 1987, Reggie Jackson chose to play his final year in MLB as a member of the A’s. Getting to see my boyhood hero play in person once again in an Oakland A’s uniform taught me one little known truth – there is a little bit of crying in baseball.

Reggie Jackson is 76

2 Likes

Wait, the first Superbowl didn’t happen until almost 200 years after the war of independence? What in tarnation were they fighting it over then?

3 Likes

No caffeination without desalination, I believe.

1 Like

Still with us at 94.

7 Likes

Petula Clark is 90. Even after 80 years in show biz, she’s still fabulous!

3 Likes

Her first record came out in 1949!

2 Likes

Let the record show that we gave Raquel a cheer.

6 Likes

One of my musical favorites, Peter Schickele – musician, composer, conductor, 5 time Grammy winner and world’s foremost authority on the life and works of P.D.Q. Bach is 87. I’m not sure if he is still performing or recording anymore.

6 Likes

He was brought up in another thread recently and I’ll bring up his MST3K connection again- Schickele wrote the score to Silent Running, a movie which inspired Joel Hodgson to make a show about a guy trapped in space with robots.

6 Likes

Elton John is 75, so let’s nod in appreciation of him AND remember the piece of album art that helped to inspire MST3K, taken from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road :

eltonart

11 Likes

I love that song so much. The way he sings it with such bitterness in his voice is incredible.

4 Likes