Gizmoplex Idea: Classic MST Refreshes?

As we look forward to the Gizmoplex in 2023, the question arises … what sorts of CONTENT can be added to the Gizmoplex to increase its value?

I feel like new MST episodes and streaming events will always be the core offering, but there’s other things that could be done that could flesh out the Gizmoplex so as to make it feel more rewarding.

One idea along these lines is to begin to go through the “Classic” library with a re-riffing frame of mind. We all love the classics of course, but wouldn’t it be kind of interesting to have some of the classics “revisited”?

For example, what if in “Here Comes the Circus” instead of saying “And Madonna thinks she’s innovative” when the clowns go at it the joke was “And thus was a young Lady GaGa inspired…” There’s a lot that can be done with the classic episodes.

Its just a thought. There’s other ideas too. Like - what if all the great DVD cover art were made into posters and put into the Gizmoplex where they could be purchased? How about live event riff-alongs where subscribers could be randomly invited to JOIN IN as special guest riffers? Or how about a YouTube like place where people could upload their own riff attempts?

Alternaversal may already have ideas, but hey why not throw out a few here and see what sticks. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I tend to do this kind of thing on my own naturally when I’m rewatching old episodes. I like to add riffs from recent pop culture or my own trivial knowledge. It’s amateur hour stuff, but it makes me feel like one of the gang.

4 Likes

But also, I would love for Caption This! to make its triumphant return.

5 Likes

I would love some cleanup (fix the occasional weird Shadowrama in the early episodes) and maybe add stingers to the the episodes that don’t have them. You know, like Special Editions but with good changes.

1 Like

Ooh, dangerous territory. You’d split us between the purists and the updatists. Do you dare??

2 Likes

1 Like

As long as they don’t do anything crazy like having Joel shoot first, I am all for it. Everyone knows Dr. F is a terrible shot anyway, and Joel would never do anything like that.

3 Likes

I’d rather they spend their resources (our resources!) giving us new stuff rather than refurbishing the old stuff.

3 Likes

Joel totally shot first.

joel_shoot

9 Likes

I’d really love to see quality versions of The Mystery Science Theater Hour host segments that Mike did as Jack Perkins. His performance is fantastic and the writing is top notch!

10 Likes

Kinga and Max should riff shorts!

3 Likes

A new theater located under the Moon Base where Synthia with Growler & M. Waverly riff old TV episodes.

7 Likes

Lies!

1 Like

No thanks. If they are going to go to the effort of writing/shooting/etc. a whole new riff-script I’d prefer it be for a new movie.

And if your proposal is that it would be the same riffs but with updated cultural references, that’s also a no from me. Part of the fun of watching the old episodes is that their references are stuck in the 90s. It is still a little weird to me in seasons 11/12/13 when they reference something modern in a riff.

9 Likes

A good chunk of their references are still way old, and I love that even with a younger group of writers, I’ve not been left behind.

3 Likes

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

There it is. There’s your Better Call Saul to MST3K’s Breaking Bad.

6 Likes

How young do people think we are, hahahaha

5 Likes

I assume you are younger than me. I’m from the 1900s, after all.

2 Likes

Like this?

1 Like

I think they should have another Turkey Day Sweepstakes like in the Comedy Central days. But this time that person who sent in 500 postcards so she could win is banned from entering. It’s been 30 years and I’m still mad about that.*

( The limit on postcards per applicant is 50 this time, and they all must have B&W pictures of buildings in Chicago on them. If you send in more than one postcard and all your entries fail to meet this specification, all will be thrown out.)

2 Likes