Gizmoplex: If I purchase a season through the Gizmoplex, and then my subscription expires, will I lose access?

I decided to back at the “EXPERIMENT 35” level, which gives a 3-month pass to the Gizmoplex, and live online premieres for the first 3 episodes from season 12.

My plan, of course, is to see how I like the Gizmoplex (using those 3 months as a trial), and then decide later if it is worth getting the rest of the season.

In Update #15, the video rental counter part of the Gizmoplex is compared to a BlockBuster:

1. THE VIDEO COUNTER

A place to rent and buy classic and new episodes of MST3K… and more!

Imagine a Blockbuster, but just for MST3K! As long as we still have the legal rights we need to offer them, you’ll be able to rent and buy individual episodes anytime you want, including…

Seasons 1-10: Over 150 classic episodes
 Seasons 11-12: All 20 new episodes
 New Episodes: Available 24 hours after premiere

We haven’t settled on the exact pricing to buy and rent episodes, but it’ll be similar to the price of renting or purchasing episodes on any other video platform.

And yes: we’re hoping to make the Gizmoplex a one-stop shop for all of your riffing needs, so we’re also in talks to offer content from RiffTrax, Cinematic Titanic, Film Crew and more.

I’m going to guess that since the EXPERIMENT 35 rewards say I get the first 3 episode premieres, that they will also appear in my video library as purchased episodes, but I don’t see that explicitly stated anywhere.

I have rewards from season 11 in my VHX.tv account (DRM-free), and Update #15 says that all these will be transferred into the Gizmoplex. I assume they will not stay DRM-free, but it does seem nice to have everything together in one place. What I don’t know is whether I’ll be able to continue watching those episodes (from my VHX account) on the Gizmoplex if my Gizmoplex subscription expires. Does anyone have any idea about this?

And, what about the 3 premieres? Will I get them for 24 hours only, or are they considered “purchased”? Will I still be able to watch them if my Gizmoplex subscription lapses?

2 Likes

This is more of an @ivan question BUT: you will retain access to the episodes you own. So far as I know they will continue to be DRM-free. Once your pass expires, you will lose access to monthly Gizmoplex events and other streaming episodes only available to Gizmoplex members. But the stuff you own is yours, period.

I’ll let @ivan answer everything else!

14 Likes

I wish more companies held this policy. Thank you all for respecting users rights and not mudding the water to if you do or do not own your own digital content. This speaks volumes!

2 Likes

During the campaign it did sound like they planned to keep the same vimeo/VHX backend. So I would expect all of your previous DRM free purchases would continue to be available to download, but the sharing/simulcasting parts of the gizmoplex may not have unfettered access to those same episodes

Hey @Chezzik!

I think @Lesley answered the biggest part of your question, but I can provide a few more specifics, just so you know exactly what to expect.

I’m going to guess that since the EXPERIMENT 35 rewards say I get the first 3 episode premieres, that they will also appear in my video library as purchased episodes, but I don’t see that explicitly stated anywhere.

As of now, what that actually means is that you get access to the first 3 episode premiere events, which means you’ll be able to watch (and rewatch) the livestream of each episode’s premiere – which will, obviously, include the new episode itself. However, it’s not the same as purchasing those individual episodes – so (at least the way we originally imagined it), you would continue to have streaming-only access to those events for about 1 month after each one premieres.

If you look at the EXPERIMENT 100 pledge level, you’ll see it included a 12-month Gizmoplex Pass as a reward, but also included “Digital Downloads of All Season 13 Episodes” as a separate reward. So, if you just want to own the new episodes, and don’t care about the premieres or the other Gizmoplex Pass benefits, you’d have the option of just buying and owning those episodes instead.

I have rewards from season 11 in my VHX.tv account (DRM-free), and Update #15 says that all these will be transferred into the Gizmoplex. I assume they will not stay DRM-free, but it does seem nice to have everything together in one place.

They will be available to you in the Gizmoplex, and they will remain available as DRM-free downloads!

What I don’t know is whether I’ll be able to continue watching those episodes (from my VHX account) on the Gizmoplex if my Gizmoplex subscription expires. Does anyone have any idea about this?

You will, yes! Anything you purchase or rent at the Gizmoplex is part of your “personal library”, which is completely separate from the Gizmoplex Pass benefits. So, any episodes you’ve gotten in the past – or that you purchase in the future – will remain available in your personal collection.

And, what about the 3 premieres? Will I get them for 24 hours only, or are they considered “purchased”? Will I still be able to watch them if my Gizmoplex subscription lapses?

As explained above: right now, you would be able to attend and then watch/rewatch the livestream premieres (and all of our other livestream special events) for at least 30 days after each one occurs… but those livestreams are not considered purchases that would remain in your account once the subscription ends.

Let me know if that all makes sense, or if you’ve got other questions / feedback!

7 Likes