GIZMOPLEX "Nice Touch" Idea Thread

I was wondering, what do all of you think would be some “nice touches” to put into the GIZMOPLEX? This would NOT be functional features, but nice ways for the announced features to be set up in a way that would pay tribute to MST3K’s rich history, memes, etc.

For example:

• Every time someone enters an area, why not utilize a door sequence?

These can be a combination of classic door sequences (Seasons 1-12) or even new ones that are themed to the area the viewer is currently entering. Theoretically, if these use a video file, they’d be super easy to program and would even be compatible with the limited capabilities of the apps (since they’ll be just showing video files anyway).

What do you think, sirs? Opinions? Comments? Your own ideas?

9 Likes

Might be fun to come up with 404 page ideas.

“Sorry. We’re out of hamdingers.”
“Oops, that was the airlock.”
“Oh boy. You’re SOL on that one.”
“What are you doing here? We’ve got MOVIE SIGN! There’s no oxygen in this room now.”
“Oh, there you are! We found you on Rocket #9. Come back inside…”

I’m sure they’ll have some nice background image easter eggs for us here and there. That could be cool.

As for door sequences… Might be fun when going into a theater room. They’re designed after the countdown on a film strip. Doesn’t make much sense for going to other areas of the site, and I could see the extra load time getting frustrating the more you encounter it.

15 Likes

I was thinking of maybe muzak versions of MST3k songs from all the different seasons. And maybe some loudspeaker announcements like in old timey theaters. “Robert Peterson, pick up your free pizza!” (The Amazing Colossal Man). I’m on iPhone (and iPad) most of the time but if all this stuff is going to be more interactive on the web, I need a new laptop.

13 Likes

Maybe it could be a feature that can be turned off in the settings.

6 Likes

I’d like to see a concession area with snacks that are themed to the MST3K universe and/or some of the past featured films… like Boneheads candy themed after Lemonheads, a Daddy-O bar themed like a Bit-O-Honey, The Killer Chews themed after Charleston Chew, Gamera Bites (they’re made of meat!), Gizmo-Pellets, Hob-Bubblin soda, a popcorn-dispensing bot, and maybe a bright red gumball machine in the corner.

14 Likes

I love the thought of fans recording some and the Alternaversal crew randomly picking the ones they like and including them.

Also, until you get a new laptop, you could probably load the entire GIZMOPLEX in your iPad’s browser, don’t you think?

7 Likes

Worth a shot I guess.

2 Likes

Maybe. But that’s extra work for the devs and extra clutter for the UI and extra work for the Servos servers. Up to the team if it’s worth it. But I know one experienced site UI designer who says a simpler design that works for everyone is ultimately better than one with 1000 customizable bells and whistles, no matter how much one user or another may think it would be nice to have options.

7 Likes

Less is more.

As long as the movies stream in clean, with some good high availability on the backend to keep everything at a full head of steam, :metal:t4:. I don’t want to play Myst to get to an episode.

12 Likes

Lon Chaney Junior Mints!

13 Likes

@escapekey
And one can’t forget the never-ending molten fondue sampo fountain, made with over 220 varieties (and counting!) of CHEESE! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

7 Likes

Somewhere, possibly on a 404 page, when something needs to be explained, instead of the same boring old “repeat to yourself…” bit, possibly the forums could play a short bit of Joel’s “unplugged” MST3K Love Theme performance from after he was locked out of the SOL during the KTMA years. It is awesomeloads of goofy, and probably the first iconic meta moment in the show. That would make me happy.

5 Likes

I second OP’s idea about the doors. With the caveat that it is reserved for only going into the theater room. I wouldn’t want it for every door.

6 Likes

Good point.

6 Likes

You have inspired me, so I made a thing!

21 Likes

Somewhere, Bridget and MJ squeal “Pool!”

4 Likes

Your UI designer friend is very wise.

6 Likes

:smiley:

Brilliant, @escapekey. Absolutely brilliant. Top-notch job, thank you for making that and sharing that with us!

6 Likes

I’m glad you like it! I was particularly proud of being able to incorporate the repurposed Lon Chaney Jr quote “Nothing is more natural to me than horror”

4 Likes

That’s way too rad, my friend - kudos!

4 Likes