Gizmoplex Original Series

I was sitting here thinking about the fact that we’ll soon have our very own streaming service dedicated to MST3K. Then I got to thinking about how cool it would be if they started hosting other shows than just MST3K. Imagine if Gizmoplex got to a point where they were either producing and/or distributing original content.

I was wondering what types of shows you would want to see. This is just for fun, so shoot for the moon! Personally I would like to see a spin-off series about the characters. Maybe a soap opera staring the Nanobots! What do you think, sirs?

8 Likes

I’d like to see them do a comic dub of a film (or short) like Woody Allen did with “What’s Up Tiger Lily” or some comic group use to do for old serials.

But now that @NatalieShark suggested it, shows about the characters would be a great addition to the MST3K Cinematic Universe.

6 Likes

That could be fun. Some things are ripe for a dub!

3 Likes

Well, I’ll have to think about original series for them to create, but one thing that seems imperative they should host is the 1982 film It Came From Hollywood. It’s a sort of proto MST3K wherein popular comedians of the day riff on old movie clips. It featured luminaries such as Gilda Radner, Cheech & Chong, John Candy, and Dan Aykroyd.

I watched it a ton on HBO back in the day and it’s probably why MST3K struck such a nerve for me when I first encountered it over a decade later. There will probably be all sorts of rights issues, but who knows?

8 Likes

Well, Dr. Donna St. Phibes can do a show on the misunderstood movie monsters, from Jan in the Pan to the Hobgoblins.
Maybe Kinga can do Undercover Boss, and it ends in the Final Showdown where all the Forrester women fight to what they expect will be “to the death”.
Instead, they KO themselves and Donna takes over for a month

6 Likes

I’m thinking we could get a pretty solid version of “The Odd Couple” out of Growler and M.Waverly.

9 Likes

I love this idea

3 Likes

Felicia Day has great experience with short-form web series. If she’s interested in doing one they should certainly host it and maybe get Shout to back it. Maybe Kinga-related, maybe not.

If the Gizmoplex is a success, there could be many opportunities to bring in curated content of that kind by indie creators… geeky in nature, but not necessarily MST3K or even film reated.

7 Likes

I’d like to see a lively interview show with those folks who are still around from MST3K films. Sort of a Space Ghost Coast-To-Coast with Joe Estevez, Frank Dietz, Mamie Van Doren, Vivian Schilling, etc. Directors and crew too. Have the bots host it and throw in comedy segments.

9 Likes

I’m rewatching Overdrawn at the Memory Bank while I work today and Pearl’s public television network is so much fun as a framing device.

I like the idea from up thread a bit about doing a nature show about various movie monsters, and a semi-serious interview show would be really cool.

I also think there’s a lot of room for various “how to” instructional series covering the kind of things they offered as high dollar backer rewards would be really, really good. Puppeteering, riff writing, prop construction, costume design, location scouting, set design, and on and on. Heck, I’d even be interested in the legal and paperwork side of things.

6 Likes

That could be like the Crocodile Hunter but with terrible puppets!

2 Likes

I still want a cooking show with a Minnesota theme. MJ and Beez can host.

7 Likes

Crocodiles…
Puppets…
likely need an off kilter style…

Someone contact Craig Ferguson. We need a pilot episode made stat.

Animated GIF

8 Likes

I was thinking about this last week when I found some clips of Craig Charles hosting a series of old sci-fi films back when I was a nerdling. Craig Charles is Spaced Out - YouTube
I loved these shows and they have a nice MST3Kish feel.
I wonder if it would be easier/cheaper to get rights to show some films in this format for a short run, and take fewer resources to produce. Could be a simple way to add extra content to the Plex.

2 Likes

My initial thought was possibly some M. Waverly and Growler shorts. We all love Tom and Crow, but we haven’t had as much time to get to know the new guys, so developing their personalities and how they interact would be fun to see!

8 Likes

I also thought of the same thing.

3 Likes

I was just talking to someone about that movie! I almost wondered if I had imagined it since I was a little kid when it came out, but we were able to find it on IMDB. I distinctly remember this being the first place I had heard of Ed Wood.

2 Likes

I desperately want a host segment of GPC, M Waverly, and Growler sitting around playing cards while the host and Tom and Crow are in the theater.

I love the idea of the three of them all being sort of bemused by the whole situation and saying things like “What was that whole invention exchange about this week anyhow?”

Oh my god

I want the three of them in a The Office style mockumentary series about all the behind the scenes stuff they do while the main cast is in the theater.

9 Likes

Hotdish vs Casserole: Electric Boogaloo…

1 Like

You Got Serv’d: A hidden camera show where Tom pulls hilarious pranks on an unwitting Jonah.

4 Likes