Gizmoplex Vault Picks - What's the Theme?

Anyone figure out the theme of this months “Vault Picks”? If there is a theme, I am not sure what it is…

6 Likes

I didn’t find anything in the network graph that indicated a connection. And it’s not some kind of math puzzle, like they are all the fifth episode of their respective seasons or anything. I was going to suggest something silly like “they were all shot on film”, but Zombie Nightmare might actually have been done on video.

Maybe there’s a common theme running through the host segments or invention exchange?

2 Likes

I’m lost too. I didn’t quite go the full data analysis route, but I didn’t spot a connecting thread, either.

1 Like

They all originally aired on a day ending with “y”.

10 Likes

I think all of these appeared in the MST3K YouTube channel.

1 Like

They’ve all appeared on Turkey Day marathons. That’s about the only connection I can find between them.

2 Likes

Gotta admit, I’m stumped. In fact if somebody asked me to pick 6 episodes that had absolutely no readily-apparent thematic connection, I would be hard-pressed to pick 6 better titles.

5 Likes

Dead teenagers?

3 Likes

Lol!! Yeah but Outlaw of Gor?

1 Like

My theory, which I mentioned in the Best of the Gizmoplex: Round 1 thread was the following:

" After thinking about it, the closest theme I can think of is something to do with “manipulation”? In Teenagers it’s the alien government trying to get the teens to do their bidding so they can take out humanity. In Zombie Molly is manipulating the dead. In Gor it’s the sorcerer and queen trying to manipulate the hero and their subjects. In Moon Men the queen is being controlled by the said Moon Men. In Duplicators you’ve got the whole mindless clones thing going on. And of course in She Creature you’ve got the pervy Doc and his hypnotism."

But! A more refined guess might have something to do with Ulterior Motives? Which I think still mostly applies to everything I listed, except that in Teenagers, that applies to Derrick, not the Alien Government, and in Duplicators, it would be Kolos.

Just my thought, though.

5 Likes

Best so far

2 Likes

… sounds very plausible, honestly.

3 Likes

I bet Merritt Stone’s in all of them. They just aren’t telling us what other names he was using.

Or it’s the opposite. All of them are films which he was offered but turned down.

2 Likes

HE’S NOT MERRITT STONE

5 Likes

“That’s what they WANT you to think!” – Oliver Stone

[ETA - Alternate Theory: At least one key scene involving deserts, beaches, or sand-related stuff? But was there anything like that in Zombie? I don’t remember it.]

[ETA 2 - Not a theme, exactly. But it’s noteworthy that none of these episodes have a short.]

3 Likes

According to one of the classic trailers from tonight’s Gizmoplex premiere, “Good vs. Evil.”

2 Likes

…Doesn’t that describe the majority of movies featured on the show?

7 Likes

For sure.

I was a little let down at the reveal, hopefully they’ll get less generic in the future.

2 Likes

Right? Like, I was totally let down by that reveal. I think I put more thought into thinking about the theme then they did :neutral_face:

3 Likes

As it turns out, whoever guessed “They’re all movies.” wasn’t that far off.

5 Likes