GPC in the KTMA theater

I just noticed this after 30 years and I wonder if anyone else has noticed it before.
In one of the shots in the KTMA opening GPC (then under her previous name) is shown in the theater with Joel and Crow - it’s the shot from the group’s right where Crow turns to the camera.
I’m sure this was just shot for the opening, but still, weird.

2 Likes

IIRC, the original plan for the show was the bot now GPC to be one of the riffers regularly, since what is now Tom Servo was Beeper and didn’t speak in human language. That theater segment was probably from the pitch reel because IIRC Beeper became Servo (no Tom yet) by the first episode.

2 Likes

I’ve never watched the pitch reel, so maybe this is old news to everyone else.

3 Likes

I might have seen it at one time, but if I did i forgot until now. I think they had to abandon the idea of having her in the theater because of her size and maneuverability issues.

3 Likes

They may have not had the Servo puppet ready when they shot that bit. In Invaders from the Deep, Trace was absent but they didn’t have a puppet for J. Elvis presumably because they hadn’t modified Beeper into Servo yet, so they just let him voice Crow for that episode instead.

The intro shot might have been created during that time period when they were filming this episode so they just inserted Gypsy in there instead.

2 Likes

The pitch reel was released as a reward for the first Kickstarter campaign (to launch what became the Netflix seasons), along with a few “rough cut” versions of episodes (which include them redubbing a few lines from the previous episode, hanging out during commercial breaks, etc.) and restored copies of a few KTMA episodes. It’s all floating around if you look for it, and well worth the time.

Would be awesome if they were added to the Gizmoplex at some point.

3 Likes

I see what you did there, you very deftly avoided dead-naming a droid in a wonderfully understated and tactful way. If they ever give out a Nobel Prize in being considerate, I’m nominating you! I mean, this is all in fun, but have you seen Star Wars? They treat robots like garbage! With the help of wonderful organic beings such as yourself, there may be a future in which synthetic and organic life can coexist with dignity.

I am totes a human unit. Why do you ask?

5 Likes