Great MST3K soliloquys

Does whatever the narrator is doing in Beast of Yucca Flats count as a soliloquy?

5 Likes

I wouldn’t think so. It’s more like a collection of terse, run on sentences.

5 Likes

I stand by my use of all caps for evil for that voice over.

On the side of good, there’s not a lot of well-made speeches. Vadinho gets some good lines in Pooma-man, but I don’t think he gets the opportunity to throw a bunch of them together.

2 Likes

Soliloquy or monologue?

2 Likes

What about the “BOING!” lecture in Are You Ready For Marriage? Does that count?

3 Likes

How can we forget the old man’s eloquent speech from Hobgoblins.

“But… I warned… Those creatures… The vault… I tried!”

4 Likes

We should really have been given a specific running time for when it stops being just regular-size yammering and graduates [sic] into soliloquy.

3 Likes

Use your discretion.

3 Likes

terse… run-on… :thinking: yeah, sounds right

3 Likes

Behold the reality-shattering power of Coleman Francis!

3 Likes

Dad’s elegy for Harry from Hired! should be a nominee, too.

3 Likes

I’ll nominate Dr. Krasker’s opening monologue from The Dead Talk Back. Certainly is memorable!

5 Likes

I would nominate all of I Accuse My Parents. 98% of that movie is Jimmy’s soliloquy as he tells the court his tale of neglect and woe. I’m sure Jimmy performed “Are You Happy In Your Work?” note for note, just as he had seen it, and I’m sure he went into great detail on the sets and costumes used. And it’s quite an effective soliloquy because there was not one person in that courtroom that day did who was left with any uncertainty about exactly who won the essay contest.

8 Likes

I’m trying to decide which villain in Swamp Diamonds wins for best revenge planning soliloquy during the scene where they’re all drunk on Sea 'N Ski [tm].

6 Likes

Oh! Blood Waters of Dr. Z!

“Sargassum. The weed of deceit!”

6 Likes

I think there should be some amount of oratory or pontificating.

4 Likes

Crow’s stirring oratory after X Marks The Spot in which he passes the buck. TO YOU.

By the way, I really hoped back then that his vanilla-extract-behind-the-ears trick would win me some hot babes. Alas, it did not. [sigh]

9 Likes

I suppose Crow’s One Man Performance of Match Game could count.

5 Likes

I actually think the judge in I Accuse My Parents has some good lines, but since he’s literally talking to Jimmy and His Parents, the dictionary declared that I was wrong and his monologue is not a traditional soliloquy.

6 Likes